New home - cladding options?

pohutukawagirl, Feb 6, 4:41am
Hi there, anyone built a home in the past year or two? Which is more cost effective to clad outside of your home, Brick or Linea board please?

tezw1, Feb 6, 5:01am
If single story and mostly flat ground on a concrete floor clay brick would be the cheaper option

pohutukawagirl, Feb 6, 5:02am
Hi, yes single story, flat ground, thank you

ruakokopatuna, Feb 6, 9:00am
Vertical colour steel corrugated iron - no cracking, no painting!

ae64, Feb 9, 9:20am
Yep - tezw1 has the right answer - bricks which in the 60's & 70's was the most expensive cladding is now the cheapest and most reliable. Linea is about 60% more expensive. On a 210sqm house (the avg new NZ home) there is about 110sqm of wall. Linea is about 7k more than brick. However in the grand scheme of things 7k in a $300k build may not be material (excuse the pun)

mm12345, Feb 9, 9:48am
Might not be the full answer though, as bracing/foundation requirements may differ. I wouldn't use brick veneer on a new build in NZ. Especially not in Hokitika where the OP is from.

maccachic1, Feb 9, 10:29pm
Ongoing maintenance requirements of Linea make it a lot more expensive. I'd go brick if new build and Palisade for reclad myself as I want as low maintenance as possible.

annies3, Feb 10, 12:46am
If you are talking real bricks, I wouldn't touch them for a house in an area known for earth quakes, or tile roofing either, remember Inangahua, was a real mess there.
Depending on the profile I would go for the colour steel and really super insulation.

masturbidder, Feb 10, 8:04am
Yes palliside is good, and steel framing esp in an earthquake zone.

maccachic1, Feb 10, 10:09pm
Wouldn't touch steel framing - rust is a risk its not rot but same end result expect to see failures in the coming years. Single story brick came off relatively well in ChCh earthquakes and is repairable.

cressidaman, Feb 11, 12:44am
Nu Wall powder coated aluminium> Great guarantee with product.

mm12345, Feb 11, 8:33am
"Relatively well" compared to what?
Unfilled block and Oamaru stone seemed worse.
Secondary damage from the racking/weight of brick veneer also meant significantly more damage to interior linings etc.
BRANZ own report shows it failing under test at about 1/10 of the PGA recorded in Chch. Around where I live, bricks shed off houses like water from a wet labrador shaking itself.
So for the OP in Hokitika, forget brick for that reason, and also as brick is porous and it rains a lot, there are far better cladding systems for that area.

poppy500, Feb 13, 3:01am
Brick = cheap

We lived near epicenter of first big earthquake- linea house. No issues at all, it seemed to flex through all the quakes.
Neighbours had mostly brick cladding. Quite common for sections of wall to fall off but easily repaired.

stevo2, Jun 29, 10:52am
We are building a new house at the moment for a client. Part 190mm bevelback weatherboard and part 7.5mm hardies with vertical battens at 300mm centres