Ply vs fibre cement cladding

rowlf, Jan 17, 1:40pm
I have seen online things about shadowclad failing, so was leaning towards using duragroove cladding on a beach bach, but I have had a builder tell me that fibre cement is a nightmare and to go with shadowclad. I’m now confused! Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

budgel, Jan 17, 3:30pm
I think shadowclad properly installed and painted will be more durable than fibre cement which although non-rotting, becomes vulnerable to knocks etc as it ages, and can be a bugger to repair. Shadowclad can fail if installed too close to the ground.

201, Jan 17, 3:31pm
I saw the TV program a couple of years ago where several people had an
issue with the Shadowclad ply but imagine it would of been well sorted by now. My advice would be use at least 12mm thickness ply & make sure it is treated to at least H3. Also use screws not nails and plenty of batons behind the ply so it can't bow. Cheers

stevo2, Jan 17, 5:47pm
My advice is to go with the Hardies product. Its slower and not much fun to install but holds the paint better and in my opinion will look better for longer and outlast the Shadowclad.
This advice is ONLY for any of the thicker Fibre cement boards - not 5 or 6mm sheet. ps Im a builder and I dislike James Hardies as much as anyone but I believe its a better product than Shadowclad.
Cheers Stevo

elect70, Jan 17, 5:59pm
NO NO NO i reckon hardieflex is crap it asorbs moisture softens & then the wind gets it & it works through the screws blows off even if its painted My fence has 8 panels of it battened accross the middle top & bottom & they have all been replaced over past 6 yearsat least once . This year im ripping the lot off & puting on ply before winter

stevo2, Jan 17, 8:59pm
Yep thats hardiflex for you. Its rubbish. Even worse if its on something flexible like a fence. Have a look at the product the op is talking about though. Its solid and heavy. I lined the front of my bach with its predecessor, -Axon panel-. Its very good.
As for absorbing moisture, all cut edges must be primed and I always prime 300mm up the back of the sheet from the bottom as well, the same goes for Shadowclad.

jan2242, Jan 18, 10:36am
My house is covered in the old fibrelight. Nothing rots with that, brilliant. They don't make it now though.

paw9, Jan 18, 11:06am
Have done two beach houses with shadowclad and found it easy to put up and no problems with it.
Make sure you prime all cut edges and also paint the back of the sheets with a good primer/sealer before installing and use a good quality building paper behind it.
I stained all my sheets before installing, a lot easier than doing it after it is up

fast4motion, Jan 18, 4:48pm
If I remember correctly, the issue was caused by an inferior/unsuitable grade of shadowclad being supplied by mistake. Then the builder(s) fitted it without realising the supplier had mucked up.

rowlf, Jan 22, 6:59pm
Cheers!

eddienz, Jan 7, 5:06pm
utility clad was used from memory