Cladding with vinyl weatherboards

markv1, Jan 28, 1:33am
I was wondering whether anybody has clad their homes with vinyl weatherboards like the Masada product? We have a bach on the coast north of levin which is clad in a mix of hardiboard and fibreboard. To make it look better we are looking at cladding over the existing with vinyl weatherboards. The bonus is you don't have to paint again and the extra insulation caused by another layer of cladding. Downside is the cost - about $100 per sq metre including labour.

newtec1, Jan 28, 3:55am
Ask away, i was involved with them in Auckland installing their product. I have reclad plenty with Masada twin wall W/Bds. They are an excelent product and will overclad most other W/Bd profiles with no problems.What would you like to know. ?

markv1, Jan 28, 6:20am
Hi Newtec - thanks for the endorsement of the product. My question was really whether it can clad over most existing cladding and whether around aluminium windows is a problem? We have about 128 sq metres to clad. I'm figuring a budget of about $13k to do the job - does that sound reasonable to you? Just trying to work out whether the costs are worth it for a 1940s bach but it does need a paint job soon and needs to be reclad in places anyway to look right as currently a mix of hardiboard/fibreboard (with asbestos). Would not try and sell as is, even if we wanted to sell.

newtec1, Aug 20, 6:28am
I can't help you re costs,but when i was cladding we put them over all types of existing W/Bds including cedar.As for around windows etc,yes that is no problem,they use a special 'U'mould which the bds fit into and you would never notice the difference. They also use a soffitt mould and an ext corner moulding to finish up to,in fact you have probably seen many homes with them and not even noticed.Yes masada twin wall is an excellent product,strong because of the cavity system they use which has other benefits as well,and can be cleaned with just water and auto cleaner to look clean and shiny as when they were fixed.They look nice as well with the rusticated profile.If cost is not a problem i wouldn't hesitate.