Cost of cladding

chicco2, Sep 8, 6:06am
Is brick as a cladding on a new build,cheaper than the modern painted/plaster over polystyrene? Thanks in advance.

chicco2, Sep 8, 6:45am
Thank-you stevo2

nzshooter01, Sep 8, 12:28pm
for some reason poly not bring used much in chch
maybe since the leaky homes debarcle
hebel type cladding in favour by far

tweake, Sep 8, 5:32pm
no one is going to pay good money for a plaster over poly house even if its done properly. thats simply due to leaky homes and the products absolute crap reputation.

stevo2, Sep 8, 6:43pm
So true. The only product worse than Plaster over Poly is Plaster over Hardies.

nzmax, Sep 8, 7:22pm
When the people down the road built their house they used odd bricks, as in many different colours and textures then had them plastered over. Im guessing the bricks were either seconds, or discontinued lines, colours or patterns etc. Not sure on the cost, but an option to look at if you want the plastered look.

tweake, Sep 8, 7:50pm
i would leave the plaster off.

kiwis build brick homes very well. trouble is when they plaster over them they can do things like block up the weeps etc and turn a perfectly good home into a rotten leaker.

i goggled the "hebel type cladding" and one of the pics (on their web site) looked like they had blocked off the wall drainage. thats going to be yet another leaky home.

blueviking, Sep 9, 6:28am
Leaky homes developed through leaking aluminium windows. Why do they now have to put sill tape and cavities around them. I have seen just as much damage around windows in brick houses. Hebel is not waterproof in itself, so needs to be waterproofed.A job will only ever be as good as the clowns doing it.

martin11, Sep 9, 7:14am
The alluminium windows themselves do not leak it is the lack of decent flashings around them that causes the problems , a lot of the leaks in home have nothing to do with the windows it is the design and lack of flashings and too much reliant on Silicon Sealant

tweake, Sep 9, 5:12pm
they all leak. cladding leaks (or has moisture move through it).
thats why you need to able to let it drain to the outside and protect any sensitive materials like wood.
flashing's and eaves all keep water off leak prone areas. so your not relying solely on the drainage layer to remove the water.
you still see people today who fail to understand the basic principles.

tweake, Oct 1, 2:07am
leaky homes was never really about windows. it was about failing to understand building science and thinking you can actually build a water proof house.

from what i gathered on the website, there is no need to water proof it, just like brick. they run a large cavity, the same as brick, to deal with the moisture that comes through it.
as with all wooden based walls you need drainage outlets. with slabs of material you need to make sure the weeps gets fitted.

again the major cause of leaky homes is thinking you can water proof stuff.
so it doesn't matter if they are clowns or not cause your never relying on it to be water proof.