Cidermaking and growing

Page 2 / 2
kitkat66, Jul 7, 12:55am
Hugh Fearnly made it like that.Came out at 5%

twhunt, Jul 7, 11:24am
We bought a property with several apple trees 2 years ago.After making apple crumble til the horses came home we used the last 5 plastic bags to make apple cider.We went out and bought a large 25l container from a local brewing store and worked out our juicer.

We made 25litres of the stuff but left it too long in the fermentation tub so it was awfully dry.Added a bit of sugar and lemonade and its nice.

This year we made another 20 litres of apple cider.

We are looking for a press as we find the juicer doesn't get a lot of the juice out as we were using a muslin cloth to squeeze the juice out of the pulp.

Any ideas of where to get a press from!

kitkat66, Jul 7, 8:22pm
Brew shop in Porirua Not been open long,They should be able to help they sell all the mad millie cheese kits also and I noticed a cheese press is available. The Apple presses I've seen aren't really very strong.

Original Scrumpy cider should be very Dry and finish at around 8 to 9% ABV.Or 10001 sg.As you say you can always add sugar but never take it out.

kitkat66, Jul 7, 8:23pm
If you use pectolase you won't need a press and the juicer will be fine.

scoonie1, Nov 20, 6:11pm
i have about 15---20 cider apple varieties now probably easier to ask what i havent got