Growing cotton in NZ

naturalkiwi, Apr 12, 10:01pm
x1
Apparently it's unlikely to be a success, but I'd love to give it a go in a greenhouse situation. I remember reading years ago about someone growing cotton plants successfully here, and wondered if anyone on here has any experience of it - or suggestions on where to get plants/seed from. Would love to hear some stories please!

skyblue17, Apr 13, 2:26am
Of the million-and-one plants you could grow in your greenhouse, why would you want to grow cotton.?

survivalkiwi, Apr 13, 7:15am
Why wouldnt it grow in parts of NZ?
What conditions does it need or not want?

coralsnake, Apr 13, 3:19pm
Cotton needs long hot days with low humidity. An average of 90oF is needed and temps below 60o should be avoided.

I doubt if you would be able to obtain seed in NZ. I brought a boll back several years ago and it was either expensive fumigation [risk of boll weevil] or destroy - I chose to have it destroyed.

What are you expecting from a few plants as there is nothing much you could do with it.

I used to live in cotton growing area in Texas and it's an amazing sight when the fields are cropped. As they large blocks which look like containers are taken to the gin, bits fall off so it looks like snow on the side of the roads.

My former partner and his family used to pick cotton each year in the days before mechanical pickings. It's hard work! They used to gather the droppings and the Mom's would prepare it to make batting for quilts.

I've been through a gin and it's a very noisy experience as it goes from the dryer through the different process until the actual separated cotton comes out and is baled. Not a part of it is wasted!

annies3, Apr 13, 8:21pm
Has been tried commercially in NZ in the Nelson area early1920s/30s was supposed to have Gvt assistance but this was withheld so the venture failed, this is my understanding of what happened but cannot verify it.

naturalkiwi, Apr 14, 12:01am
x1
I'm a crocheter and quilter. I enjoy working with cotton yarns and would love to experience the process from start to finish :)

And I don't even own a greenhouse. Yet. Just working on the assumption that I'll probably need one!

naturalkiwi, Apr 14, 12:07am
Humidity would definitely be a problem here. Love your story. Would never have thought of using the raw cotton as batting for quilts!

Even a few plants would be enough for me to experience the basic process - without the backbreaking toil of working an entire field :)
I had the opportunity recently to feel the difference between a hand-spun cotton and woven fabric and the average machine-spun cotton. It's an impressive difference, and it rekindled my interest in the whole idea. As someone said to me recently, "Don't die wondering".

skyblue17, Apr 14, 4:40am
Thanks for the reply. I'd never have thought of that.

naturalkiwi, Apr 14, 5:36am
It's a yarny-textiley thing. We're all a bit mad like that. Just check out the crafts/hobbies forum! Longsuffering husband can think of a million-and-one things he'd rather grow in a greenhouse too! Maybe we'll share it.

coralsnake, Apr 15, 11:31am

deathrockboy, Apr 15, 11:31am
It is grown as a display plant in New Zealand, and i'm surprised that someone else isn't growing it or selling seeds, judging by the number which get taken from our display. The bolls usually last a day or two once they have popped open revealing the cotton. It needs warmth and seems to have good and bad years, even in the tropical glasshouse. I can't list any seeds on trademe though, sorry.

naturalkiwi, Apr 15, 11:30pm
What a shame! (Both the pinching your stuff and not selling seeds). But you've given me some hope, at least.

parryduck, Apr 16, 4:31am
When I was in Georgia, USA, I was fascinated by the cotton fields AND it the ground was covered in snow - so they are not entirely tropical?

mustu, Feb 3, 12:42pm
Few years ago a friend in Australia sent me some cotton seeds. I wanted to grow it for spinning. I had no idea there might be a problem. Customs seized the 10 seeds and I was told if I wanted them I would have to apply for an Import Licence costing around $200!