Getting rid of ivy growing on Pohutakawa

bazfan, Apr 26, 7:13am
Hi I have Ivy growing on a tall Pohutakawa tree in the house we just bought. Its about 15 feet high. Went to Kings Plant Barn and the guy recommended Round Up Gel on the leaves which I can reach with a step ladder. I did this last week but because 70% of the tree is covered in Ivy I was looking at ripping off the roots which I can reach and coating what's left with woody weedkiller. The guy at Kings discouraged this and said it would kill the tree as well but I have read somewhere that this works better and kills the Ivy quicker. Anyone had any experience of this?

Chrs Baz

jancemord, Apr 26, 7:24am
Cut the roots and the base - leave a gap between the cuts so they dont re join - Hit with weed warrior

cantabman1, Apr 26, 6:50pm
Above advice is great. I have found that one has to just pull as much as you can out and forget about sprays.i have recently removed some large vines from a golden queen peach tree around the trunk and base. The tree is now shooting new branches from lower down where i removed the vine.

lythande1, Apr 26, 7:56pm
Cut it.
Apply a decent weedkiller (not glysophate) to the cut stems.

pauldw, Apr 26, 8:24pm
DoC's advice includes glyphosate among suitable weedkillers but emphasises that the weedkiller is applied to the ivy stem as soon as possible after cutting (within 30 secs).

hazelnut2, Apr 26, 9:41pm
Yup, you need one of those bottles of 'gel weedkillers" so you can smear it on as soon as you cut the stems. Cut and smear one at a time. Pull out any runners which are heading across the ground before you do the cutting and poisoning.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 26, 9:57pm
Ivy wants to go arboreal, it changes leaf structure and form in doing so, becoming a tree, not a climber. So the best trick is to cut the main stem as suggested, make sure the gap is a good one, and wait for the top to simply die. If you can uncover the base, repeated applications of boiling water will kill it, saves using nasty chemicals, but it does need repeat 'cooking' to beat its built in survival drive.

quiz3, Apr 27, 5:42am
Yes agree just cut and leave a big gap. Paint stump!
Months later just pull the dead Ivy out of the tree.

tui93, Apr 27, 6:40am
Sounds like he wanted to make the job as difficult as poss, and for you to use as much chemical as poss. Maybe he'd never had to actually get rid of the awful stuff.

cleggyboy, Apr 28, 2:57am
The ivy I got off my Aussy bottle brush, had roots embedded into the trunk of the host tree. So and weedkiller could also affect the tree if it is the same ivy I have. It is a real pest, seedlings coming up everywhere. The birds must be spreading the seed from a large plant close by.

rita197, Apr 28, 4:11am
Use a pruning saw to cut through the ivy stems or even a chainsaw for the large stems. the rest above will die off in a few weeks. yes paint cut stems with a recommended week killer.

sailor13, Jan 21, 3:01pm
cut the stems then put the cut stems inside the can we used bunnings glyphosate just top up the cans if needed it really worked the Ivy was up the threes about 20ft they had been there for years