Cidermaking and growing

Page 1 / 2
scoonie1, Jun 2, 11:17am
any folks interested in forming a group dedicated to the finer points of the apple cider renewal that is gaining momentum pooling of knowledge and resourcesetc from the enthusiast to the serious intender of cider production craft cider cidery cellars etc must be heaps as interested as i am i ve planted quite a number cider apples and intend to plant lot more regards steve

scoonie1, Jun 5, 10:37am
any cider lovers out there!

lythande1, Jun 5, 7:27pm
I like it, don't have room for trees and won't be making it.
But you get going and I'll buy yours. :-)

oldseadog1, Jun 6, 12:43am
i am keen to make some cider. did not no you need special apples though. what about pear cider! do you need special pears for making that!

ebygum1, Jun 6, 1:33am
Is'nt Pear cider properly called Perry!

pol, Jun 6, 2:14am
Love Cider & made some a couple of years ago with brew kits - wasn't too bad, but have always thought I have a go one day,making it the traditional way. Watched a victorian farm programme on sky a while back where they made it from scratch :)

kitkat66, Jun 6, 6:29am
I've made cider for many years,with mixed results.Where do you get the cider apples from.I've been looking for proper cider trees for years but can't find any.I've just made some cider with Braeburns.I use a few lemons as well to get acidity.Comes out very well but must use pectolase first.

oldseadog1, Jun 6, 7:16am
whats pectolase!

brucie261, Jun 6, 9:08am
Just strained and added sugar to my 2nd batch

scoonie1, Jun 6, 9:31am
perry or pear cider is made from pearspear cider made from ordinary pears is termed common perry real perry from the perry pear varieties is calledeaxctly that perrycheers

scoonie1, Jun 6, 9:35am
perry can only be made from the perry pears like cider apples high tannin levels ordinary pear plonk is loosely termed perry though its more like cider true perry is complex tasting usually lower in alc content and no two batches come out the same

scoonie1, Jun 6, 9:39am
cider is very eay to make like any fruit once ripe the sugars interact with yeast either wild or cultured and fermentation takes place and woopteedo good honest plonk its been around forever

scoonie1, Jun 6, 9:41am
fab well done what apples did you use or is that a secret too what alc do you get up to and i assume yours is a sparkling cider did you use cultured yeast or go au naturale

juliewn, Jun 6, 9:42am
Hi. Lynda Hallinan, Editor-at-large with NZ Gardener makes cider -there's some info in the toffee crab-apples part here:
http://lyndahallinan.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/toffee-crab-apples/

You could ask her about making cider there.

Also, in the Trademe Recipes thread, there's info about cider. if you use the message-board search function on the left of your screen, type in cider and change 'last 24 hours' to 'anytime' and search, there are a number of threads.

You can also use cider to make your own apple cider vinegar - there are threads about that also.

Hope this helps.enjoy making your cider.

scoonie1, Jun 6, 9:44am
i have a collection of cider apple trees english, french, usa and the odd kiwi cooker brews up wellthe mitre 10 store in morrinsville sells them and sends them country wide i believe

brucie261, Jun 8, 3:48am
Have just started so using local tree ripened apples from orchard down the road all i use is apples, lemon and sugar. Trial and error atm last lot had way too much sugar. Alc vol is very low at this stage but need to get into it more before i worry about that. We drink the cidar usually on the days we have run out of home brew bourbon! Have got some fejoas in freezer that I will do a brew of to see what that tastes like also

surfinjonny, Jun 23, 1:10am
A quick and relatively easy way of making rather nice cider is getting a tin of cider from a home brew store. Most are around the 21-23L range. Replace6L+ of the water component with preservative free apple juice from the super market. Pretty tastey and no hassle with juicing fruit.

kitkat66, Jun 23, 3:44am
Fast cider.
1 cup sugar
1 PET plastic 1.5ltr bottle (old coke or sprite)
1 pkt sparkling wine yeast.
Juice half a lemon.
I pkt Fresh up apple concentrate
Pour concentrate, sugar juice of half lemon and yeast in Plastic bottle top up with luke warm water,leave for 2 weeks in a warm place.
Chill then drink lol

purplegoanna, Jul 3, 7:56am
im trying to find perry trees.none on tm.may try nchun.

the-lada-dude, Jul 3, 8:24pm
there are cider apples available in nz, you can also graft the cider variety onto an existing apple tree, if you check on google you will find growers that sell different scion types, you could probably get a keen gardener to graft for you, but its pretty easy.
kingston black is one variety of cider apple we have in nz,apparently you can use anytype of apple and add grab apple to the mix, and blend to suit hey scoonie1i'm getting some mm106 r/s shortly, and i will devote one tree to cider, apart from kingston black, what else have you got !

purplegoanna, Jul 3, 8:55pm
ive found someone who maybe grafting some perry onto quince root stock.i can graft myself if i could find a perry tree.(at least i learnt one thing at high school! that i can use in the future)

the-lada-dude, Jul 3, 10:33pm
good on you P/G

the-lada-dude, Jul 3, 10:54pm
HEY !scoonie1please refer my 1st post ta

scoonie1, Jul 6, 11:05am
only called perry if its made from perry pear all other pear fermentation called pear cider

scoonie1, Jul 6, 11:10am
whos leg you pulling