What's happening to my tree?

inspirat, Feb 15, 4:22am
I'm guessing these are dying for some reason. We have two of these and one has not come into leaf (except for ¼ of it) and its bark is coming away, and this one is starting to go yellow. Any information would be greatly appreciated. https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/364221816.jpg

spiritofgonzo, Feb 15, 6:32am
Silk tree. My guess . looking at its surroundings in manicured verdant surroindings . is that the trunk has been ringbarked from a weedeater, and/or too much weed spray at the base. If the ringbark isn't too bad, you can trim off the dead branches and they will rebound very quick.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 15, 6:40am
Other than that. Hard to tell. Check the trunk for borer. Check the trunk for any diseased spots. I've seen these trees chopped back to stubs on a trunk and shoot back in a year. They're fast growing so prone to diseases from the soft wood.

tobie2, Feb 15, 6:51am
Silk trees hate wet feet. We had 1 at our last house did that, a third of the tree per year, and after 3 years it just died. Wonder if this happening with yours

nzjay, Feb 15, 10:18am
I'd say borer.

wheelz, Feb 15, 10:54am
My first thought was borer too, remove the affected branches, it'll soon put on more growth.

rdeans, Feb 15, 8:27pm
We had a silk tree at a property about 7 years ago that did the same thing. First 2/3 years we were there is was fine then each year a different part would die. We just removed the dead branches and left the tree and the following year the leaves and flowers would come out and then at the endvof January branches would die again. The following website was the only thing I could find at the time that explained the "happening". Apparently you can buy a species of silk tree that is not susceptable to this disease.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/could-killing-mimosa-tree-96865.html
Hope this helps. Cheers

hesian, Feb 15, 8:56pm
I notice neighbour's shrub or tree has a dead bit and there are a couple of trees similar to yours in neighbouring gardens that look yellow like this in parts. Have had a bad year in the garden with veggies and tired orange tree so have just thought it the season. Have quipped that my garden has ebola this year. I see you too are in Tauranga. I usually think the 'cut out bad bit and hope' is worth trying, especially with a nice established tree that isnt upsetting anyone else.

inspirat, Feb 16, 5:14am
Thanks so much.

inspirat, Jun 22, 7:28am
Thanks Susan.