Miniture Kowhai tree

sadie, Dec 27, 2:49am
Was given a miniture kowhai in a large pot but it is too big and roots have wrapped round the trunk abit. I have taken it out of pot carefully and placed in the garden by the pond and will it have large roots and also do i leave the roots wrapped round the base of the trunk or try to cut them?
I carefully eased it out of its pot so not to break the roots and all good.

sadie, Dec 27, 2:52am
anyone know?

annies3, Dec 27, 3:23am
Its a bit hard to understand what you are describing, do you mean root bound where the roots wind their way around the outside of their potting mix, if so you can gently untangle the roots without breaking them and ease them out into the soil where you are planting the kowhai, even if you just loosen the outside layer without doing too much damage, then plant it into your hole with good soil or planting medium, give it a real good watering and keep it moist for a few weeks without drowning it of course.

sadie, Dec 27, 7:35am
yes i mean the roots have wound themselves around the bottom of the trunk and sit above the soil

annies3, Dec 27, 4:39pm
I have never seen the roots come up above the soil poor wee tree must have been really struggling, I guess just do what you can to spread the roots into the soil as above, good luck.

zirconium, Jun 27, 10:44pm
Ive found leaving them sitting in a bucket of water in the shade for 24 hours before planting helps as well.