Apricot tree has split and snapped

hhb, Dec 14, 9:19am
. very sad, beautiful yummy fruit but a very big and old tree, planted around 1950's we think. The branches are heavily laden with full size, but not yet ripe fruit. of course if left where they are on the large branches they won't now ripen will they? . *hope not to dumber question!. just so sad to see. I have never had such beautiful rich tasting apricots. I am going to see if I can grow some cuttings from it. Just guess the still green fruit is a right off if main trunk snapped in half.

cantabman1, Dec 14, 12:01pm
The hail in Christchurch today knocked out over 70 of my 800 swan plants I grow each year to sell.

fantail8, Dec 14, 7:16pm
Last year a neighbour had a plum so heavily laden that big branch snapped off, but not cleanly - there was still a little bit attached to the main trunk. Their plums ripened. I guess the branch was getting enough nutrients for it to continue, and maybe the plums were at a different stage of ripeness. If it was me I'd leave it and see for a little bit as long as the broken fruit/branches didn't affect any good stuff remaining.

hhb, Dec 14, 11:12pm
fantail8 - yes that is exactly what we will do, slight pain as have had to shove it a bit as was crossing drive way slightly but such a shame. I've had the famous Otago apricots and not one of them came close to this trees' apricots, for taste, so delicious. the flavour so intense, also made the most superb jam.

lythande1, Dec 15, 2:07am
Is it right off or still attached? You could put a steel band round it to hold it.
I did that with a hibiscus, a branch with new flower buds on it, it not only held and the flowers came out, it d=grew itself back together. Lumpily but sealed.

punkinthefirst, Dec 16, 7:07am
Might pay to prune the tree heavily after this year's fruit is off it. You won't have a great crop for another couple of years, but that's better than losing the tree.
My apricot tree seems to be quite brittle, as well. I always lose the odd branch, but the good news is that they don't mind being pruned.

pisces47, Jul 5, 6:17pm
Lemon tree branch broke under weight of fruit. Tied it back up and sealed it with tape. Been fine and healthy for 6 years.