F&P Washing Machine Corrosion

rpvr, Dec 31, 8:27pm
Seems to be common with F&P. We have one which rusted through around the same area when it was about seven years old and I complained to F&P who initially couldn't care less, but after much persistence on my part they agreed to give me a new case (mainly to make me go away, I think) if we paid the local serviceman to swap the components over. We did this at a cost of about $60. However, four years later the new case is rusting in the same places. Recycled steel from China?.

apollo11, Dec 31, 11:38pm
No, probably just rubbish paint preparation or too thin paint layer at that point. We have given up on F&P, although I have become adept at repairing them over the years- mainly issues with the control boards and electrics. They are dead simple to work on.

charie4, Jan 2, 6:00am
Spilling soap powder is the cause of corrosion as said by a previous poster-nothing to do with paint quality.

hazelthecat, Dec 28, 11:23pm
I notice some corrosion around the feet of my washing machine where the feet attach. It's not easy to access when the machine is tilted back. Can I lay the machine on its side without damage to the internals. My old, old machine had a polystyrene packer that fitted inside the bowl to stop it from flopping around during transit. I didn't get one with this machine.
So, can I lay the machine on its side/back?Thanks

lythande1, Dec 29, 1:28am
You can tip it up.
Just do it carefully so the bowl tips gently.

pamow69, Dec 29, 10:24am
I lay them down in my van all the time when I do repairs. Never had a problem. Best not to lie them on the back though because you don't want water getting in to control panel and also on the rear right hand corner there is usually an out of balance lever which can get broken. Best to lie them on the left hand side or on the front but put down a mat or towel first so you don't scratch the paint.

hazelthecat, Dec 29, 7:53pm
Thanks for that warning. LHS it is.
Why didn't F&P use better anti corrosion in that bottom lip where dust and crap gathers attracting moisture? And don't start me about the agitator design!

pamow69, Mar 31, 8:46pm
Soap powder getting down there is one of the prime causes of corrosion, it eats through the paint. Yes the smartdrive agitator is weak. Trick is to not overload the machine. Do not cram the clothes down hard so you can fit a few more items in.