Tree Identity Please

kaddiew, Apr 14, 10:57pm
Think I've just identified it myself on google. It appears to be a (California) Pepper Tree, and full size looks like it will be far too big for its present location. Anyone else have it growing!

daleaway, Apr 14, 11:14pm
Also called Peruvian pepper tree.
Lots of pest and invasive warnings about it on the web.

kaddiew, Apr 14, 11:18pm
Really! Will check that out, thanks!

Hmmm. just read it grows to 15 metres high, and 5-10 metres wide. Definitely has to go, like the row of olive trees also planted by previous owners,1 metre from my front windows.

spiritofgonzo, Apr 15, 12:59am
schinus molle is on the weed list for bay of plenty.

stevee6, Apr 15, 1:22am
Beautiful trees, pepper trees. Graceful and tough - grow rather large and you do need to stop them seeding.

kaddiew, Apr 15, 3:45am
Thanks folks.

stevee6 - yep it really is graceful and weeping; would love it on a huge section, not the small front lawn strip of my townhouse! Should never have been planted here.

robyn276, Apr 15, 7:01am
Rather than waste it, why don't you see if it is possible to find some one to dig it up and transfer it to a place where it will suit.
It sure looks like a lovely tree.

stevee6, Apr 15, 7:26am
Yep - right tree for the right place. Someone planted some eucalyptus in our front yard years ago - not the nice small ones but the massive ones that drop branches on people's heads. They had to go.

kaddiew, Apr 15, 8:46am
That's a good idea. :)Have just today given it quite a haircut to get the mower around and under it, and it doesn't look as good as the photo - but have done that before and it regrows super quickly.

kaddiew, Apr 15, 8:49am
That happened to us too a few years ago, and once they threatened the house & powerlines it costs us over $1000 to get rid.

kaddiew, May 12, 8:59am
One Peruvian Pepper Tree is now on its way to a new home. Thanks again for the suggestion! :)