Can anyone please tell me what tree this is.

maclad, Feb 15, 12:29am
Corynocarpus laviegatus sp! NZ native Karaka tree

car_gurl, Feb 15, 12:33am
Oh thank you. Its near our vege garden so wasnt sure if it was a fruit tree at all

spiritofgonzo, Feb 15, 12:47am
+1 yep (spelling close enough)

spiritofgonzo, Feb 15, 2:06am
The kernals are poisonous.Apparently the flesh around the kernals are ok, but don't try them on my say so, I wouldn't.And also you can de-poison the kernals by doing a processes that indigenous Maori used; but it's something like soaking them in a bag for 7 days in a running stream, and then steaming them for 24hrs in a hungi . don't try that either.

deathrockboy, Feb 15, 8:49am
They sometime come up in the news because they are toxic enough to kill a dog, if the kernel is ingested.
I remember reading something recently about this happening.

car_gurl, Feb 15, 10:28am
Oh scary.we have two little toy dogs. Thanks so much for the heads up we will be careful

books4nz, Feb 15, 10:37am
Do Tui etc eat the berries!

deathrockboy, Feb 15, 11:24am
Not sure about Tui, but i think wood pigeons do.
Would think that either they are immune to the toxin, or that they don't digest the kernel.

lemming2, Feb 15, 8:34pm
The digestive system of the Kereru is the essential vector for the Karaka seeds to germinate in nature. Maori used to eat the kernels as a form of "bread" (and I have, too), but only after they'd been washed in running water for weeks first. We made a sort of a roti with the ground up seeds. Quite nice and sweet, but definitely NOT one for trying at home! But that's why Karaka trees are almost always found growing around old Pa sites.

deathrockboy, Feb 15, 9:01pm
Thanks Lemming2, I was pretty sure i had read something about the kereru dispersing the seed before, but couldn't find it yesterday.

How did you prepare the kernels before cooking them! Do you have to remove the kernels from their shell!

books4nz, Mar 10, 9:08am
I think it's Karaka leaves that are also worn at times. and used in Powhiri.