Trimming doors for carpet, whats the best way?

sooby, Feb 20, 6:56pm
Hey guys,

We're getting carpet laid soon and need to trim all the interior doors to allow for the increase in height as we have polished flooring now.What's the best way to rip about 20mm of the bottom of the doors!

Had thought a circular saw against a straight edge guide but was worried about splintering the underside of the cut, is there a better way!

Doors are timber veneer hollow core.

Thanks

reggienz, Feb 20, 7:06pm
Measure how much you need to take off and take the door to a cabinet maker. They will have the right saw blade for the job.

budgel, Feb 20, 7:12pm
With veneer doors I mark the line to be cut to with a stanley knife through the veneer and right around through the clashing strip,then planethe edges down to the mark first and then take out the centre 'hump'.

If you have a lot to take off, the same method of cutting through the veneer and then a skilsaw not quite to the mark and finish with a plane.

twink19, Feb 20, 7:25pm
use electric hand planner, thats how I do them

nitronz, Feb 20, 8:37pm
lol Ive used a handsaw before today and then just block sanded afterwards. I did score the cut line with a stanley knife first

sooby, Feb 20, 9:58pm
cheers guys!

kcc55a, Feb 21, 1:25am
Really! And if a house has 12 doors that need altering thatsa huge job! Still the carpet layer would be happy having all the doors off and out of the way.

tillsbury, Feb 21, 2:20am
Circular saw against a clamped guide, then sand down the corners (or use an electric planer at 45 degrees, they usually have a slot for this, to make a 45 degree bevel on the edge).

If you use an electric planer to take a little bit off, remember always to do it from each end to the middle -- if you run all the way across in one go you can easily rip the wood off at the far end.

eagles9999, Feb 21, 8:36pm
I know it sounds tricky but what about redrilling the hinge holes and lifting the door that way

twink19, Feb 21, 8:40pm
that wont work, hinges are more than likely checked in, means filling check out and planing top of door

eagles9999, Feb 21, 8:45pm
LOL Forgot about the door frame at the top. Hides head in embarrassment Mind you I have seen houses where this has been done (I presume) as hinges have obviously been moved.

cwnda, Feb 22, 2:04am
This thread reminds me of a job years ago. I was laying the carpet in a new house & the builder made it very clear that he didn't want (in his words) 'any half-arsed idiot' making a mess of his job & that HE would be doing all the trimming of the doors so it was done properly. All went well until he tried to re-hang two of them & found he'd trimmed the top off instead of the bottom.

cowlover, Feb 22, 10:33am
20mm is an big amount to take off for carpet.How much clearance do you have at present under the doors!

sooby, Feb 22, 6:40pm
Currently have about 15mm clearance under the doors

captaingraham, Feb 22, 7:17pm
I hate it when that happens.

hobgoblin9, Mar 18, 8:48pm
I would say that at the very most you would only have to take off another 5-10 mm then, unless you have a really thick pile carpet. I would always take the doors off, wait until the carpet is installed and then measure from the bottom of the bottom hinge on the door jamb to the top of the carpet and and transfer those measurements plus a couple of mm to the door. Use a plane and you can be more exact and saves a big gap for draughts under your door. Note that most hollow doors only have abot 20-25mm of timber around the outside so if you cut off too much you then have to insert a new timber fillet in the door.