Best tool 4 trimming lawn betwn young hedgeplants

pukus, Dec 22, 7:55pm
My Griselinia Littoralis are quite y oung, I have planted about 40 of them, and it's awful seeing all the graass and weeds growing up between them, and I don't have the time for hand weeding . is there an electric/petrol powered tool that would be helpful for knocking back the weeds but so i have full control and don't cut out the hedgeplants too! :D

tigra, Dec 22, 8:03pm
You dont say how far apart they are. But no motorised implement is going to do anything except knock the tops of the weeds and they will grow back tout suite. Suggest you take some time to phyiscally pull the weeds out and maybeput some grass clippings down between the plants making sure that the clippingsare a couple of cms away from them. You could also put some Roundup in a small pressure container and carefuly spraybeteween your hedginhg plants without getting spray on them.

tarant, Dec 22, 8:04pm
just trim between with some edge clippers and then on a calm day spray glyphosate, careful not to get any on the leaves

pukus, Dec 22, 8:13pm
They're about 40 cm apart . hmmm it's a big job isn't it

tigra, Dec 22, 8:23pm
Yes but a days work done properly now willsave you heaps later.

kateley, Dec 22, 8:24pm
I think I would just spread my lawn clippings over the weeds.Maybe put some wet newspaper down first if the weeds aren't too tall, then a couple of inches of clippings each time you mow.
If the weeds are already quite big, then chop off with your clippers first.

pukus, Dec 22, 8:49pm
and if the lawn clippings touch the griselinia will they burn them/kill them!
thankyou

tarant, Dec 22, 9:13pm
stop yr grisling and get to it! good gardens are work . .

kateley, Dec 22, 9:15pm
try not to pile the clippings up the trunks of the griselinia, it might create a damp spot and encourage rot to set in, just try to leave a couple of inches bare around each tree.The odd bit of clippings touching won't kill them.
Is a good idea to put a bit of general fertiliser around before the clippings, too, as when they decompose they can use up some nutrients.

merrigj, Dec 22, 9:40pm
I would lay mulch around the base of the plants.

kcc55a, Dec 23, 8:54am
I tried this last year and theclippings dried out and blew away followed shortly after by the newspaper. Clippings by all means, keeping them away from the stem of the hedging plants, but unless you continue to add more clippingsforget the newspaper.

kateley, Dec 23, 7:08pm
which is why I suggested adding more clippings at each mowing.(I also water new plantings for the first summer)

dibble35, Dec 23, 7:25pm
Sidebar.40cm is really close planting for a griselinia hedge, these can get to be good size trees if left to their own devices i've seen them at 5m tall, most of the time they would be planted at approx 1m apart, (just in case someone put you wrong) you'll know for your next hedge;-)

hutchk, Dec 23, 7:42pm
Buy a roll of cheep weed mat and a bag of weed mat pins. Roll it out in front of your hedge. Grab the scissors and make a cut half way through the weed mat where each plant sits. Pull the mat around the base of the plants, pin it down, Bob's your aunty. It'll kill the weeds underneath, and act as a mulch.

captaingraham, Dec 23, 9:24pm
My thoughts as well

ricp, Dec 24, 10:07am
Nah, they'll be fine at a 40 cm spacing. It will just be a quicker and tighter hedge that's all and probably won't get to 4m high

gag5, Dec 28, 10:56am
agree with thisf - ours are 1200 apart & at 3 yrs old are already joining & almost 2 mts in height & Have seen them get to a fair height.

If they are newly planted I would consider re-spacing, altho thats a big job with 40!