Trimming Hedge

siobhan41, Apr 21, 9:39am
Gardening rookie here and just want some advice on how to make a nice thick hedge.
Planted 6 lilly pillytrees 6 months ago and they are growing very well but was wondering what the best way to trim them.
Have read that I should trim the top of the sides harder than the lower!.

maclad, Apr 21, 6:18pm
Regular trimming is the best way to thicken a young hedge and trim each plant as an individual, right round the whole plant, till they actually touch. The idea is to keep the hedge slightly wider at the base and narrower at the top to ensure the sun reaches the lower level and helps to keep the plant thick and not die out at the base.

dibble35, Apr 21, 8:23pm
Above very good advice. And as lilly pillys grow so fast you should trim them 2-3 times a year if you want to keep them managable and tight.

siobhan41, Apr 21, 9:20pm
Great will get outside today and give them a trim. They are certinaly growing quickly.

rsr72, Apr 21, 11:45pm
If a small hedge, 1-1.5m, there is no need to taper it. Trim often and evenly on all sides and it'll grow perfectly well and look better.

ninya, Apr 22, 1:03am
This thread is good timing for me, so thanks for starting OP. Does the same advice apply for a camellia hedge! I planted one last winter, and was wondering if I should be trimming the tops to encourage more branching.

maclad, Apr 22, 4:50am
Yes always trim the tops that will help thicken up the tree. It will still get to the height you want it to reach.

siobhan41, May 11, 11:52am
That looks great and is exactly the height i'm looking for.