Trimming an exterior door

shakespeare6, Feb 14, 10:50pm
I have a couple of old wood and glass exterior doors to replace with solid timber type. Hanging them is no problem but what is the best tool to trim them with. I need to take about 4 mm off a couple of sides then there is the undercut in the bottem for the weather strip in the step. Some say router some say plane- probably be a bit much for that and hard to get perfect others say a small hand held circular saw.
Any experience or ideas?

ebygum1, Feb 15, 12:24am
Electric planer. Should be easy.

tintop, Feb 15, 1:03am
ebygum1 wrote:
Electric planer. Should be easy.[/quote

Clamp a straight edge to the door, use a circular saw with the sole plate running against the straight edge. Measure carefully to set the straight edge the correct distance from the edge of the door. Make the cut on the hinge edge. Do a clean up cut with an electric plane, or a sander. Put a slight bevel along the edge corners when all else is finished.

hammer23, Feb 15, 1:07am
I prefer a straight edge clamped on and a sharp bit in the router.This way you get a nice straight side .

shakespeare6, Feb 15, 2:07am
Cheers for that I think a straught edge and circular saw will be the go, might use the router for the under cut on the bottem

brafe, Jun 19, 8:29pm
If using a router for cutting the bottom make sure you rout slowly backwards on the far end to avoid breakout, alternatively clamp a block the same thickness as door and run straight through.