Medlar Tree

beebb3, Nov 16, 9:29am
Does anybody know of any of these trees for sale in the Christchurch region please! Spotted any at a particular nursery! Appreciate any help.

spiritofgonzo, Nov 17, 6:42am
never come across them

nchun, Nov 17, 8:40am
Listing #: 534545099

samanya, Nov 17, 9:13am
Are they frost tender,would they grow in the Nth Canterbury region!

schnauzer11, Nov 17, 6:44pm
I've not seen them for sale,either.Last time I saw one,it was an ancient specimen beside a fallen-down old house on Banks Peninsula,quite an exposed area.Best of luck.

schnauzer11, Nov 17, 6:45pm
Just remember,once your tree's fruiting,you'll have to google the process of 'bletting' the fruit,as they can't be eaten until this is done.

budgel, Nov 17, 10:42pm
That's odd, the vendor says you just scoop out the pulp and eat it.

nchun, Nov 18, 2:30am
Medlar trees are very hardy fruit trees. Deciduous over winter so stand cold winters. Very similar in growth and cultural habit to Pear trees. Fruit must be ripened in trays after picking (a process call bletting) before enjoying. An easy fruiting tree to grow. Cheers again!

antoniab, Nov 18, 4:51am
They will be fine down south - used to see lots growing at gardens I worked at in the UK.

spiritual_life, Nov 19, 12:54am
There is a medlar tree in the botanic gardens here in Christchurch. It is a good sized, well established one, so I guess they do grow ok here :)

midsta, Nov 19, 10:01am
Also in PMH grounds

kiwigirl4, Nov 19, 11:32pm
I believe Allenton Nursery has them.
http://www.allenton.co.nz/

alford2, Nov 9, 2:51pm
We had one growing and fruiting well in the hills above Fairlie. Mind you, not my choice in flavours even when well 'bletted;-euphenism for close tpo rot.