How to tell real leather

likit, Jan 24, 1:27am
We purchased a lounge suite 6 years ago for $4000,it was sold to us as real leather.We want to sell it on here but,I have doubts whether it is genuine leather & don't want to mislead anyone.I have checked underneath & there is nothing to tell me what the material is.I understand bonded leather doesn't wear well & our lounge suite has,it is still in very good condition considering our family of 5 use it 24/7.Apart from getting someone in the know to look at it is there any other way to tell the difference!

lythande1, Jan 24, 2:06am
Well, leather on belts, real leather has that napped side on the back.
Bonded leather on the other hand doesn't. But you can't really go peeling it up I guess.
Bonded Leather is material made from Genuine leather fibers bonded with adhesive and pressed into flat sheets.

arcane1315, Jan 24, 3:28am
I have a leather lounge suite - and on the back of it the leather just hangs down. pull up a bit that you can see and if it is real leather it will be rough on the back - like a shammy sort of if that makes sense!

likit, Jan 24, 3:52am
Thankyou,I just unzipped one of the swabs & had a look inside & it does look like a chamois.

singing1, Jan 24, 6:09am
Put a flame on it.if it melts it isn't leather.you may think I am joking but I'm serious.This is how I have tested market bought leather for years.

40wav, Jan 24, 6:14am
I'll give that a go in Harvey Norman this weekend.

laurenlee, Jan 24, 7:57pm
40way GO! (lol)

lythande1, Jan 24, 7:58pm
But that doesn't tell you if it's bonded leather or not.

-nana-, Jan 25, 10:18pm
There are two types of leather which are both deemed to be genuineThe best leather is the first take of the hide.The second cut is also qenuine leather but it is much thinner.It does not wear as well and often stretches.Google is your friend.

edenrose, Feb 13, 2:51pm
Bought a handbag in Hong Kong that had a lighter flame over the bottom, told it was leather, it got wet on a ride (at an amusement park) later on and the top surface has now bubbled and lifted, therefore not leather.Don't see how it survived the flame in the market, but I saw it.