Recovering a 2 seater leather couch costs?

stuffed, Mar 2, 4:13pm
Any thoughts on the estimated cost of recovering a 2 seater leather couch - labour only?

stuffed, Mar 5, 10:22am
Just to add that the quote was $5500 WITHOUT the leather!

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 5, 10:32am
Be cheaper to do an upholstery course.

tormore, Mar 5, 11:53am
A two seater, no more than $1500 labour and that would be a pretty complicated one.

tygertung, Mar 5, 12:03pm
You can get a second hand industrial sewing machine pretty cheap on trademe. Just unstitch the old couch and use that to make a pattern for the leather. Then just sew it together and bobs your uncle.

reelingmaze, Mar 6, 8:33am
You make it sound so easy which it is not. My partner is an upholsterer with his own business. The cost to cover an average 2 seater couch with labour only would cost around $600 +GST. Shop around as the prices quoted here are way too expensive.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 6, 8:39am
I had a rather lovely three seater recovered, pick up, labour, and delivery, ten years ago and that was $1500 then. Beautiful job done, but we should expect to pay for expertise.

coralsnake, Mar 7, 1:53am
There are several 'how to' videos on UTube.

tygertung, Mar 7, 7:53am
It isn't super easy and I dare say that your partner who is an upholsterer would be able to do it much faster than someone without experience.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 7, 10:25am
I have recovered several suites in my time. I am glad I am now too old to be tempted, lol, and too broke to get someone to do it for me!

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 7, 10:26am
It is always easier when you know how - to quote Jonathon Livingstone Seagull.

gilligee, Mar 8, 8:00am
I attended night classes in upholstery many years ago. After stripping a chair and reconstructing it with webbing, springs and wadding and finally the fabric covering I decided upholstery was a highly skilled job and upholsterers earned every penny/cent they charged. Recovering is more straight forward but is still skilled and you risk wasting the expensive leather.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 8, 9:13am
I agree completely. I put together a flat pack shelving unit where the instructions said 'assembly takes forty minutes'. It took me four hours. I now have the matching pack to do this week, I'm hoping experience lets me get it done in three and a half.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 8, 5:15pm
Nope.

Four hours.

With coffee breaks.

downsouth1, Mar 8, 6:48pm
We are about to put a 2 seater leather couch up for sale, in as new condition, for $600!

stuffed, Mar 9, 8:45am
👍👍👍

stuffed, Mar 27, 2:56pm
Found 2 new leather couches (nearly identical to the old ones) - 5k delivered. So $500 cheaper than the labour only cost of covering the 1 couch!

woody89, Mar 28, 9:03am
Probably not relevant now if you're looking at purchasing replacements but I have seen amazing restoration ( holes fixed, colour restored etc) work done on leather couches. Perhaps that could be an option for anyone else reading this.

amasser, Mar 28, 10:26am
Get more quotes as that person didn't want to do it.

reelingmaze, Aug 7, 8:14am
Ha ( scratches head). I didn't say it was super easy, I was said it was not super easy in reply to someone who said it was super easy.