Removing biro from pale coloured leather

hilt_dwane, Nov 30, 7:13am
We have two fine blue biro lines on a leather footstool. The stool is a pale grey/green and the marks are noticeable. I have so far tried Palmolive dishwash liquid and jif with no success. Anyone have a hint that will work? Thanks

tintop, Nov 30, 7:25am
Meths will dissolve ball point ink, but do not rub it.

Wet the ink line then blot it with paper towel or toilet paper.
Test on an unseen part of the covering first.

melford, Nov 30, 7:25am
Desolvit - won't hurt skin so wont hurt leather - excellent product. Buy from New World or Mitre10. I have heard that Hairspray will remove ball point pen so maybe try that first

hilt_dwane, Nov 30, 7:42am
Desolvit didn't work :(

fantail8, Nov 30, 6:16pm
was the jif straight? That always works for us on cream leather - cloth, no water just jif.

hilt_dwane, Nov 30, 9:39pm
It was a damp (not soggy) xlo sponge, and straight jif

gaimon, Dec 1, 3:44am
Try hairspray. Then warm soapy sponge.

jahydie, Dec 1, 5:38am
Another vote for hairspray. Works on everything

melford, Dec 1, 6:04am
Sorry desolvit it didn't work for you. Did you leave it on for 5 minutes or so? It has worked for me and the product is designed to remove biro.

pommyjohn1, Dec 1, 7:44am
WD40 is sometimes good for this

hilt_dwane, Dec 1, 7:59am
Looks like I might have to go and buy some hairspray then. Do you leave it on long?

woody89, Dec 1, 8:01am
Baby wipes worked for biro off a dark leather couch.

blayzzz, Dec 1, 9:26am
Vasolene rubbed on with a toothbrush took paint of our leather couch when nothing else worked, need to do a few applications

cantabman1, Dec 2, 1:50am
I know milk will take it out of clothes, worth a try, with a sponge.

..pip.., Dec 2, 6:26am
Spray with hairspray then wipe away immediately. If no ink comes off spray it more and leave for 5 seconds. Keep spraying and upping the time to a max of 10 seconds. If it doesn't come off then it wont come off.

hazelnut2, Dec 12, 1:06am
Acetone also dissolves biro, but have never tried it on leather.

zirconium, Dec 12, 7:36pm
How long has the biro been there? - If all else fails, you could try a bit of neutral or cream shoe polish. (The nugget type, rub very gently for a minute or so). - You may then have to do the whole footstool to match though.

mkbooks, Dec 12, 11:58pm
I've used Woolmix successfully-it contains Eucalyptus oil-

happyrats, Dec 17, 2:28pm
Olive oil :-) Took paint off leather seats.

kitaki, Jul 4, 11:17pm
Eucalyptus oil - available from supermarkets and pharmacies.