Weed id please

trouty63, Jan 21, 8:47pm
I've got it too - I think it's some sort of papyrus -Some kind soul gave me a plant, so, like an idiot, I did what you're meant to do and planted it.

Seeds go everywhere and yes, you have to keep pulling the darn things out for years afterwards.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 21, 9:08pm
cyperus ustulatus possibly!

hmck, Jan 21, 10:37pm
Are you telling me that I have to pull every one out of my lawn!Please someone tell me wweedspray that will kill it - Help!

spiritofgonzo, Jan 21, 10:54pm
.it wont take that long.Get a weed puller tool, or use a fork, and pull them all out by their roots.If the lawn is really that bad, then kill everything and start it again.

hmck, Jan 22, 1:32am
Yep - It's about come to that - it is everywhere.But roundup doesn't appear to kill it - any ideas what will!

spiritofgonzo, Jan 22, 1:59am
the heavier sprays will.E.g. tordon or amitrole.But honestly, either pull it out by hand, or start again

lythande1, Jan 22, 2:22am
Vigilant gel, snip top off, apply.

hmck, Jan 22, 6:40pm
Thank you!Yes - have decided the start again route - it really is everywhere so killing everything and relawning is the better option.

steptoesnr, Jan 22, 7:51pm
Looks a little like agapanthus. If you have mature plants close by then it will be.

antoniab, Jan 23, 12:11am
Are there little fleshy round bulb-like things on the roots! Looks like a liriope spicata type thing to me. Pain in the arse to get rid of, I just dug a load out from a round about at one of my gardening jobs and Ive just seen some more is coming up! :(

hmck, Jan 23, 1:12am
Nope and nope - thanks but spiritofgonzo had it right - I'm off to kill the entire lawn this weekend :-).

maclad, Feb 4, 6:16pm
You need very specific sprays for this type of weed if you want to save your lawn and they are not highly efficient but work over time. Roundup , (glyphosphate) also works also over time but you will need to probably spray now with the intention of resowing in Autumn or Spring and in the interium repeat spray anything that regrows in the meantime.