What's in your veggie garden right now?

Page 4 / 6
shabbychic8, Dec 7, 5:51am
Argh. Yes.

On those big lettuces that I was telling you about earlier that had veggie scraps in. It was even in a planter, rather than in the ground and surrounded by sawdust. Little buggers were determined!

littlemissy1, Dec 7, 8:07am
I had the same opportunists visit my place.a look over the garden earlier revealed a whole zucchini plant gone, its like it was never there and it was a sizable plant! I'm baffled.

pge, Dec 8, 2:29am
I have had the similar with last year's silverbeet that I was still harvesting -- it was going to give us a nice meal.

I went to harvest the next morning, and someone (and, I KNOW it was a 'someone') had simply chopped them off just above the base ! and, nothing was left .

They even had the cheek to lift the netting I have over my raised-boxes, but, didn't even have the courtesy to fasten it back down again.

Still, I have planted two lots of potatos, sugar peas, tomatos, carrots hanging over from winter planting, last year's strawberries.

Still looking to plant more, though.

littlemissy1, Dec 8, 2:54am
Aw that's cheeky! So you had fingered opportunists huh! See I would be annoyed at that, if someone came and asked me if they could have something I would happily oblige (I'm usually the first to offer anyways) but I don't like thief's *sigh* Not sure what took mine but there wasn't a trace of it.maybe a bird or something!

shabbychic8, Dec 8, 5:30am
that is downright rude!

I guess if they were so poor they had to steal it, we should feel bad for them really.

toffeey, Dec 8, 7:20am
WOW there are some great ideas in this thread. Thanks everybody. I've got fed up with planting flowers so this year I have done away with that and my flower beds contain tomatoes, beans, capsicums, cucumbers, courgettes, melons, aubergines, basil, thyme, lettuces, plus have planted a fig, lemon, feijoas, dwarf peaches, dwarf pears, dwarf apples, dwarf cherries, tamarillo and most excitingly, some sunflowers have popped up. Very exciitng to see what will be successful. My cucumbers are madly producing which is much more rewarding than any pansy ever was.

shabbychic8, Dec 9, 1:35am
Yay! Welcome to the dark side!

I love veggie gardening.I'm sure its an illness!

destiny6nz, Dec 9, 6:05am
not a lot this season.

have plenty of fruit onthe tomato plants
the apple cucumber and normal cucumber are growing well. Im a bit unsure when they are going to be ready because they are looking pretty big right now
beetroot
spring onions
red onions
potatoes
mint
parley
coriander
corn

littlemissy1, Dec 9, 10:30am
I was delighted to see the difference in just one day to my pumpkins, took some great photos for my blog. It is getting so warm i am going to have to get up at the crack of dawn to water now. I got the spring onion, lettuce and pak choi in the other day and to do no midnight munchers.

How's everyone's gardens going at the moment!

toffeey, Dec 9, 5:39pm
I've been away from my garden for a few days. Can't wait to get out there and see what has grown, flowered, sprouted, produced etc in my absence.

littlemissy1, Dec 9, 7:14pm
You will probably be quite surprised toffeey! Come back and let us know all the exciting changes.I love walking around and seeing what has grown each day, I grew most of my plants from seed so they are like my babies LOL

shabbychic8, Dec 9, 7:48pm
I went on holiday last summer for just 5 days and couldn't believe the difference when I came back. You don't really notice how much things change when you look everyday but boy did they come along!

littlemissy1, Dec 9, 8:34pm
I notice shabbychic, I took a photo yesterday and the day before of my pumpkin flowers.dramatic change. I see how much bigger seedlings have grown, maybe its just more noticeable when its been longer! Or maybe I spend far too much time in my garden! lol

mamacass, Dec 10, 2:01am
hi im new to veggie gardening well gardening of any kind actually. i have planted tomatoes, celery, lettuces, strawberries, cucumber, broccilli, basil, spring onions so far. We have moved to a 5 acres property so want to grow some of our food in the garden as well as in the paddocks lol. any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated thanks

littlemissy1, Dec 10, 2:25am
Hi mamacass (LOVE the name!) With 5 acres you will be able to do lots.I would just start with some of the things you enjoy, don't be afraid to experiment or ask questions. Companion planting is great for having a healthy and interesting looking garden. All depends on climate, garden size, the amount of time you are going to be able to spend in it and what purpose you have for it. Just play.see what works and what doesn't, have fun with it

mamacass, Dec 10, 3:56am
thanks littlemissy1.
i dont plan on filling the 5 acres with garden - i would never have the time to look after it all!
the lady we bought the property from had no veg garden just lots of little flowering gardens with roses and other plants that i dont know but she hasnt looked after them at all.
I have 3 great big grape vines, 2 loaded plum trees and 2 apple trees to look after as well.

shabbychic8, Dec 11, 7:03pm
You say that now, but I bet you will end up planting out more than you initially planned to- addictive stuff!

littlemissy1, Dec 11, 9:16pm
Ooh I am jealous! Cant wait to have a little place of my own so I can plant an orchard (I have this overwhelming desire to "nest" and I wanna feed everybody lol) I have a few things in pots for now though. With your grapes, apples and plums you will be able to make all sorts of yummy home made goodies! Just start with a vege garden to get you started, fill it with what you want/need and then go from there.I think you will find it slowly sprawling across the yard as you get more serious about it

rushka, Dec 12, 4:30am
strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, dwarf bean, runner beans, mesculin, lettuce, leek, garlic, yams, potatoes, peas, asparagus, capsicum, carrots, cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower, broccilini, broccoli, egg plant, gooseberries, gerkins, radishes, brussel sprouts, kale, zucchini, squash, kumi kumi, watermelon, apple, lemon, plum, feijoa - and a few herbs

shabbychic8, Dec 13, 8:29pm
I would love the space for tons of permanent things like fruit trees, berry bushes etc as well

melp6, Dec 13, 8:37pm
My garden is small, only got peas, lettuces and tomatoes in it. Every day I go and give the garden words of encouragement. It's such a buzz to see things growing!

lindylambchops1, Dec 14, 1:08am
Love your garden, the photos were awesome.Love the paddling pool shells.You make such great use of so many different containers.Everything looks good & healthy,in fact they look good enough to EAT!

littlemissy1, Dec 15, 9:55am
Wouldn't it be fabulous! For now I have to just keep on potting and hope they do ok until I get my own place. I have sooo many jars, muslin cloth, preserving pan etc etc.all in the dream of being able to grow, eat, preserve and share tons of goodies. Even a small piece of land can grow lots if managed properly. Would love to move to my own humble little place *sigh* I am growing lots anyways and I share all my thoughts in my blog so I have it documented.

destiny6nz, Dec 15, 10:33am
ate lettuce and cucumbers from the garden today

im wondering when i can eat my beetroot, potatoes and onions!

littlemissy1, Dec 15, 10:59am
How were they destiny6nz! I ate some borage and nasturtium the other day, was rather tasty but haven't tried the calendula flowers yet cos my salad greens still taking off. My beetroot is still growing but I wanna get them when small and roast them, Ive heard that's delicious. I pulled up a few spuddies today as well. I havent even got a cucumber on my plants yet! *pout*