What's in your veggie garden right now?

Page 5 / 6
shabbychic8, Dec 15, 8:17pm
Same. We live out of containers a lot but even that is a pain - it's more stuff to take when we move. I would love to own a big section too, but we have no idea where. Can't really buy when you change your mind as often as we do LOL

mottly, Dec 15, 8:30pm
we have a small section too - I used to breed dogs, but now I've retired, I have a 'pen' type area which I've now filled with blueberries, raspberries, boysenberries, gooseberries, cape gooseberries and cherry toms - somewhere my dog can't pee on everything lol!I use mussel buoys cut in half for most of my vege's - cats don't like to dig in them, dogs can't pee high enough to get on the vege, and the temp is a bit higher, so everything grows really well.Also trying spuds in tyres - can't wait to pull them apart and see how well composted the dirt is (prob no spuds!).

family007, Dec 16, 1:05am
I am so jealous of some of these gardens! I have a glasshouse, just a small one with lettuces, chives, parsley, strawberries and tomatoes. Loving the strawberries though. Just cheap ones from the warehouse but damn do they grow fruit! I picked one this morning about 10cm long and FAT!
I also have a few fruit trees , one nectarine, two peaches, two apples (one double grafted) and a nice big grapevine which is loaded again!
Will work on the man to build me a couple of raised gardens for next year.

littlemissy1, Dec 16, 4:47am
Shabbychic.one day you will find somewhere and you'll just know that's the place you want to plant your feet! I always dream about somewhere by the sea.would love to come down south but so expensive =(

Mottly.Only thing my boy has piddled on was my herb planter (he only did it once) think he got it confused with a fire hydrant hehee.

Family007.I am jealous of your glasshouse, would love to have one! Raised gardens are great aren't they.when i do find a little place, I will be building lots of them.

shabbychic8, Dec 16, 8:16pm
I hope so. There is only one place in NZ that I have ever wanted to live more than anywhere else, but it's too expensive

littlemissy1, Dec 16, 9:02pm
Where!

mottly, Dec 17, 12:30am
"Mottly.Only thing my boy has piddled on was my herb planter (he only did it once) think he got it confused with a fire hydrant hehee. "
ewww, dog pee :(I planted some 'dog bane' a month or two ago in my herb garden, seems to work - although I quite like the smell of it

shabbychic8, Dec 19, 7:08pm
Bucklands Beach

littlemissy1, Dec 20, 11:54pm
You wanna be a jaffa! *cheeky grin*

Awesome gardens shabbychic! Love your wooden name signs, you have given me a good idea of what to do in mine. Will try post some pics of my much smaller gardens soon =)

shabbychic8, Dec 20, 11:56pm
Do it ! Do it! I Loooooove pictures of veggie gardens!

shabbychic8, Dec 21, 7:21pm
Wow - that bumblebee pic is amazing!

Nice! I love working gardens with mismatched pots and buckets! That's what mine always looks like once I have filled all the spaces in the garden plots!

littlemissy1, Dec 22, 12:30am
Thanks! Mine is a case of having to, cant afford to buy lots of new pots.most of my pots I have had recycled to me and that means I can offer all my spare seedlings to others. Its a fabulous way of sharing what you don't need and being given what you do. No money exchanged.just people helping and giving to others.

shabbychic8, Dec 23, 12:25am
That's the beauty of veggie gardening - it's people bonding over something so simple. You don't even have to like your neighbours to be able to put some fresh spuds on their doorstep!

littlemissy1, Dec 23, 7:55am
Yep, nothing gets wasted here.if i cant eat it then it goes to friends or neighbours or foodbank. That is one thing that irks me is good food going to waste

shabbychic8, Dec 23, 9:05am
even the waste here gets composted to help grow the new stuff! There really is no such thing as waste when you garden. Even the scraps serve a higher purpose!

littlemissy1, Dec 23, 11:16am
Here too! Must be good because there are a ton of worms in it.haven't used it yet but looking forward to spreading some black gold around. Everything here is either eaten by me, the dog, the cat, the birds or the compost. I was fortunate enough to have a compost bin here when I moved in but its taken some work to get it running efficiently because it had all sorts in it, I had to completely empty it and put the good stuff back in.

shabbychic8, Dec 26, 4:45am
Went and got some clearance plants at the Warehouse today. Score!

destiny6nz, Dec 26, 8:35am
my tomato plant leaves are going yellow. Have added tomato food mixture still no good but loads and loads of tomatoes. The fruit is delicious

shabbychic8, Dec 26, 8:42pm
sprinkle epsom salts around the bottom of the plant and water them in

littlemissy1, Dec 26, 8:59pm
Hey everyone, hope you all had a great Christmas! Had a tinkle of rain here overnight, was soooo welcome and I'm sure the garden has grown a little more (probably imagining it hehee). have just ordered some badly needed seedling punnets so I am really excited, What plants did you buy shabbychic! I have just planted some white sage and celery. Destiny, are you already eating your tomatoes! I have lots of fruit but nothing is ripe =(

shabbychic8, Dec 27, 4:03am
I got sage, brussell sprouts and onions all for 99c and 1.99 :)

shabbychic8, Dec 29, 8:44pm
Got heaps done in my garden yesterday - planted out the ones i got on sale, plus carrots, perpetual spinach, string beans and butter beans.

I have rhubarb coming out of my ears, and everything is huge.

I LOVE summer!

What has everyone else got going in, coming out !

vanyalos, Dec 29, 10:32pm
Currently have - tomatoes & cherry tomatoes (about 30 or so varieties),capsicums (14 varieties, about 30 plants in total, plus some in the glasshouse), eggplants, beans (dwarf & climbing), cucumbers,pumpkins & mini pumpkins, squash (butternut & spaghetti), carrots, beetroot, radish, lettuce, watermelon, rockmelon, potatoes, asparagus (green & purple), sweetcorn, zucchini (4 varieties), strawberries, babaco, Herbs (sage, rosemary, parsley, basil, chives).

Think that's it at the moment. Oh and some broc, cauli & cabbage seedlings that have self sown between some of my tomatoes, which I need to move (I previously let some plants go to seed in that space).

shabbychic8, Dec 29, 11:10pm
What's babaco!

vanyalos, Dec 29, 11:20pm
It's a tropical tree . I grow it in a pot in the glasshouse. If you google it some pics and info should come up :)

Suppose I shouldn't really have included it in "what's growing in my veg garden" :P