Questions on using a Gib lifter

kaconda, Aug 13, 8:20am
I want to gib high angled (35 degrees) ceilings with a hired gib lifter. Havn't used one before. One room the height is 3.8m to apex and the other is 5 m.
The heights where the centres of the sheet would be are 3m and 4.2 respectively. Sheet sizes are 3m x 1.2 with the 3m edge going from apex to wall so they are at right angles to ceiling battens. Hope I am clear. thanks.

clangie, Aug 13, 8:55am
they don't work on those angles, needs to be pretty much flat ceiling

budgel, Aug 13, 11:12am
I've used a gib lifter for a sloping ceiling. It was difficult but We had two guys doing it with the owner holding a broom to give support where needed. We wound it up until one edge of the gib was almost touching the low point and went from there. I planted a temporary batten about 25mm down from the ceiling on the wall to catch that wall edge which was fastened first. The hardest part was getting the wiring for the light through with all the muttering going on! Aligning the edge of the next sheets was a bugger, I used a temporary cleat to catch that edge too. Once a few screws are in it gets a lot easier. Dont let the ends sag too much as they can end up binding on the wall as you raise them up.

Get everything set up and make sure all involved know the plan of action.

Good luck!

golfaholic2, Aug 13, 6:27pm
Been gibbing for 30yrs and never used a lifter . an extra pair of hands will be cheaper and faster than trying to faff about with a lifter

hammer23, Aug 14, 12:08am
After gibbing since I left school one day I got a gib lifter to put up the 13mm ceiling sheets. Wow what a differance,instead of struggling,swearing and getting grumpy with my taller mate suddenly a to be avoided job was easy peesy and at the end of the day I had enough energy to go home and cut the grass.Gib lifters 1, Hardwork 0

kaconda, Aug 14, 12:24am
Good to hear that Hammer, One question, will a standard gib lifter place a 3 m sheet at a 35 degree angle with the narrow (1200mm) edge at the top of the ceiling?. cheers

hammer23, Aug 14, 6:13am
well any thing has to better than struggling to do it using muscle power.Mr.Budgel has told you how he did it so why not print his answer off and read it out loud to your mate as you go.

johotech, Aug 14, 6:38am
Here's a few tips for that angled ceiling.

The high end will have to go in first. Attach a cleat screwed to the wall to catch the top end, as others have said.

Make up a TEE shaped prop out of 3x2 or whatever. for the bottom end. Make it long enough so it will wedge itself onto the floor on a slight angle.

Put temporary nails in the battens just off the first wall end, to catch the edge of the sheet so you know it will be straight.

Do the same with temporary nails at the first to second sheet join, so the second sheet doesn't go over the top of the first. Those nails will be into the first sheet, right on the edge. Use decent size nails and use a block of wood when you remove them.

If the wiring to be brought through the sheet is short, tape a long piece of wire or even string onto the short wire, so you can get that through the hole in the sheet before you lift it up.

The wiring should come through timber. You might need to put in an extra batten between two rafters for that.

Make a decent size hole in the sheet for the wire - 25mm. Measure twice and drill once!

You're going to need at least 3 people (4 would be better), good step ladders and a couple of brooms might be useful - although at the 5m high end you might be struggling!

mtbotrev, Oct 27, 6:53pm
You could hire internal scaffold for high end. Agreed re using string on wire for awkward fitting.