Painting 1956 yr old red brick house?

Page 1 / 2
poff1, Feb 14, 3:24am
Do we or don't we!A lot of people say, yes and then the others say don't start!I can imagine it would update the house, but I wondered if anyone has done it and do you have any recommendations!Preparation/paint/frequency!Would love to get some feed back.Thanks.

kp11, Feb 14, 5:04am
I wouldnt do it.1) I love that old red brick look & 2) your adding significantly to the ongoing maintenance of the house.

reggienz, Feb 14, 5:06am
Don't do it. Nothing looks worse than painted brick, especially when it starts to age.

jag5, Feb 14, 5:11am
Don't do it.as that paint starts flaking further down the track.the waterblasting and wire brushing and whatever else to remove all loose paint before repainting again and again.ongoing maintenance issues.

poff1, Feb 14, 5:47am
Thanks guys - appreciate your advice.Can take it off the 'list' then!

samanya, Feb 14, 6:11am
I'm in the same position as you .a more modern house but I HATE the colour of the bricks .they (to me) are visually offensive & yet other people like them!
I have decide to save up & get the place plastered. don't know when, but it would vastly improve the place.
In every other aspect .it's great & I love it,just the colour of the blardy bricks gives me the sh**s.

poff1, Feb 14, 6:32am
samanya wrote:

I'm in the same position as you .a more modern house but I HATE the colour of the bricks .they (to me) are visually offensive & yet other people like them!
I have decide to save up & get the place plastered. don't know when, but it would vastly improve the place.
In every other aspect .it's great & I love it,just the colour of the blardy bricks gives me the sh**s.
Good luck - hope you arn't in ChCh - cause I wouldn't recommend plastering with the EQ's around.

mwood, Feb 14, 6:46am
plastering is so bogun - bricks are very Georgian - just close your eyes and think of England

kuaka, Feb 14, 8:28am
Nothing worse than painted brickwork imo.

trade4us2, Feb 14, 8:32am
If it's plastered then people will not be sure whether it's a leaky home or not, or whether the bricks are cracked.
So it will be worth less if you plaster it.

vivienney, Feb 14, 9:19am
Wow! Interesting responses. I like the look of paintedbricks and they look way better than looking at pink bricks etc. Quite funky. If you paint every 6 years or so before flaking happens then you can keep it looking good without a lot of work. People with timber houses do this to avoid the extra work involved in leaving it for 10 years plus.

samanya, Feb 14, 9:25am
Point.
But I don't want to paint it .as someone said, painted bricks look a bit yuk.
So,I just put up with the cr*p colour!
Wouldn'tit be recorded somewhere that it was originally brick & hadn't suffered any quake/leaks etc!

samanya, Feb 14, 9:26am
I don't want pseudo Georgian.

glamour-puss, Feb 14, 9:29am
You could always try it out first with this Resene software.

http://www.resene.co.nz/ezypaint/

tarant, Feb 14, 7:23pm
yes! but only if you bag the bricks with plaster first

ebygum1, Feb 14, 10:21pm
I'm not sure where you can get this,but there is a product called DyeBrick brick stain. I have seen a couple of Huntly brick houses done with it,they looked really good,much more modern. If you google " brick stain " I am sure you will find the details. Good luck.

pinkandpinup, Feb 15, 2:45am
we have a 1950s brick & tile house - and some where in its history a previous occupant has painted ALL of the grout lines between the brick white! Crazy! While the bricks are in good condition, we have this bizarre peeling/worn white painting in between them. Who in their right minds had the time on their hands to do such an odd thing.

jezabeel, Feb 15, 5:20am
Ive never heard such rubbish in all my life ive seen heaps of plaster over brick and it really brings the old places into the 21st century.
Since when has there ever been leaky house issues with brick houses from the 50,60,70s!

trade4us2, Feb 15, 5:45am
They won't leak, but people looking to buy houses these days are avoiding houses with flat cladding. Flat cladding could be fibreglass cloth over polystyrene, or cement board with bogged up joints, and other horrible designs. Many people won't be bothered checking how the house was built - they'll just ignore a house and look at something else. So weatherboard and brick houses sell for a premium.
Considering the price of bricks, I would never paint them. Bricks are an honest and durable and maintenance-free form of cladding. Once you cover bricks with something you have to keep painting for ever.

siobhan41, Feb 15, 8:19am
House isn't in Pt Chev is it!.

mm12345, Feb 15, 8:59am
86.735% (truly) of the problem with flat cladding compared to old '60s houses etc is that the old houses had eaves, so the flashings and general weather-proofing of the cladding mattered much less.

As for brick:
http://www.branz.co.nz/cms_show_download.php!id=01032b046e50805be8060bb4892b008eb5310581
Even if compliant with current code, It starts to fail at 0.23 g PGA. 1 Hz, 10 cycles. That's about 1/10 the shaking intensity that 1/2 of Chch experienced two years ago.Brick isn't really suitable for NZ seismic conditions.It's used because it's cheap.

jezabeel, Feb 15, 9:04am
These people you talk of are idiots.
You wont find any of those plaster systems on a old brick house.

ayjay1, Feb 15, 9:19am
Have you ever seen Acrylic paint properly applied to brick flake!
I haven't

shadow57, Feb 15, 5:37pm
My house is grey SHS, (early 70's) it looked tired and dated.I cleaned off the green slime growing on south side using an outdoor cleaner then had it waterblasted, . it's amazing the amount of dirt and scum that came off, then siliconed. updated colours on trim.with new fences painted a darker grey the result is stunning. it all totally detracts from the grey shs which I agree is not the best but at least it's not PINK!

white_elephant, Feb 15, 6:43pm
I read in a English Houe and Garden magazine about a dye for changing the colour of bricks, probably worth looking into. Otherwise I wouldn't paint or clad. If you have a big area that you find really offensive how about putting a trellis up and planting a climber you like against it.