Painting 1956 yr old red brick house?

Page 2 / 2
trade4us2, Feb 15, 8:50pm
When buyers are quickly looking through pictures of houses, any flat cladding looks the same.

Most people are idiots when buying a house. They have no idea about house construction. They buy houses on land subject to flooding or near the edges of cliffs that fall down or near the sea that will erode the land.
They build brick houses in an area known to be an earthquake risk, i.e. Christchurch.
But even idiots have money, and if you want to sell your house, by catering to the idiots you have more chance of selling.

There's no way I would build or buy a brick house, but I do think brick is attractive and almost maintenance-free. I build brick paths and walls one brick high.

astroflight1, Feb 15, 10:19pm
Had the same problem in my last house, but one wall only was brick.
It took 3 paint jobs to find just the right colour scheme, the house looked fantastic.Just get the roof and accents right and you will not regret.Spend a few dollars OP, and get a colour consultant on the job.Ask at the paint shops you visit.It will be far cheaper than a full paint job, and he/she will create a colour scheme that will work great.
Then deal with some landscaping.The right plantings and shrubbery will transform the entire property.Do it right the first time and you will only have to do it once.

tillsbury, Feb 15, 10:21pm
What's the difference between a path and a one-brick-high wall! :-)

To OP, never never never paint bricks.You will always regret it, you can't undo it.If you hate the brick colour but love the brick look then look into the dyes.Otherwise render it.Rendered brick is completely different from plaster over panel "leaky" construction.Your house presumably (if it's 1956) has significant eaves and so will not concern anyone about its leakiness.

astroflight1, Feb 15, 10:30pm
I should add that a full 20% of the improvement in street appeal came down to changing the colour of the fence and planting one climer that accented.The colour consultant should be instructed to consult on the ENTIRE property, roof, door and window accents, trims, and the fence.Do not forget the fence.We overpainted timbacryl redwood with a pale green.God did it make a huge difference to the ENTIRE property.In fact without having done the fence, the house would have continued to look like utter crap even with everything else done.The fence just finished off the entire look, and the bright pink climbing rose in just the right spot was the cherry on the cake.

kenw1, Feb 15, 11:14pm
I always thought this looked quite nice, for a painted house.http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/9_Coronation_Street!file=No9_main.jpg

samanya, Feb 15, 11:18pm
That sounds lovely astroflight.
Mine is a rural property with half brick fences/walls with black horizontal trellis & somepaling fences .the black looks good with the brick & offsets the plants well.
I'm happy with the roof colour, it's a dull, dark grey/khaki & the joinery is the same so I'll have to stick to that.
I'm not really interested in resale, it more for my own personal satisfaction, as I don't find it aesthetically pleasant.
I had a google around & will look further into the dye that someone kindly suggested .could be a goer.

trade4us2, Feb 16, 12:47am
A path is level with the ground and a fence sticks up above the ground.
I have a brick wall under my wooden fence:
http://i50.tinypic.com/10deic2.jpg

kuaka, Feb 16, 3:04am
I wouldn't describe that as a "brick wall" under a fence - more like a fence on a solid brick footing.And if someone described the front of their place as having a brick wall under a fence and I was looking for it, I'd drive right by it without noticing the "brick wall".

trade4us2, Mar 10, 1:13pm
An observant person looking for a "one-brick-high wall" would see it.