Asbestos brick veneer?

thejazzpianoma, Oct 16, 11:19am
Hi all, not sure if this is answerable or not.

I have a house with some hinuera stone looking brick veneer of unknown age. The back of the veneer is smooth and looks like modern hardiboard. Because it's smooth does that mean it won't likely contain asbestos or is that misinformation?

Any other clues as to finding out?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, can post a picture of where it's broken and the backing if that is of any help.

golfdiver, Oct 16, 11:24am
Do you know the age of the veneer? A small sample, (several grams) can be tested for less than $100. I get ACM tested most weeks. Usually get an answer within 48 hours.

golfdiver, Oct 16, 11:27am
Do you know the age of the veneer? A small sample, (several grams) can be tested for less than $100. I get ACM tested most weeks. Usually get an answer within 48 hours. Assume that is said veneer in the background of the pic of your current listing? Asbestos was generally stopped from use by about 1987 at the latest.
Edited to add that your cylinder is dated 1997. If that is the original for your house, then it won't be ACM

thejazzpianoma, Oct 16, 12:05pm
Thanks, yes that is the veneer. Cylinder is much newer than the house but renovations have happened at various times. Veneer could have been added anytime from 1970 to 1990. I am going to check out the council plans next for more clues but am not hopefull.
Where do you get your samples tested?

golfdiver, Oct 16, 12:31pm
I use these guys. They are very reliable. break off a small sample and double bag it in sandwich ziplock bags and fill in the form on the link then send it away.
https://www.dowdellassociates.co.nz/asbestos-testing

budgel, Oct 16, 12:40pm
Even if it has asbestos in it, the risk is minimal unless it is broken and shedding fibres. Sealing the broken bits is advisable.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 5, 1:03pm
Thanks. Just needing to know as it will be eventually removed but in the meantime may have to have holes drilled in it for pipework etc.