Re-gibbing a 1950 brick house

simeon_, Jun 27, 5:22am
any tips for me from people that have done a bit. I recently done a wall. but now wishing I had of done a bit more study. new to gib stopping also. I ran some vertically because ceiling height was 2.7. I used 2.4 sheets

carter19, Jun 27, 5:35am
Check out gib.co.nz for fixing instructions

johotech, Jun 27, 5:51am
(?????????)

mack77, Jun 27, 7:10am
Firstly get the free Winstones Gib Guide from any big gib retailer or just call Winstones 0800 no. and they will send you one.
Secondly, the best way for 2.7m high walls is to buy 1.35m wide sheets of gib and run it horizontally. This will result in a higher bracing strength in your wall compared to using 1.2 x 2.4 gib vertically.

simeon_, Jun 27, 10:28pm
ok thought they only come in 1200 mm width but at different lengths.

simeon_, Jun 27, 10:30pm
my joists are roughly 400 apart . would i need to run dwangs horizontally across joins. ?

johotech, Jun 27, 10:33pm
I think you mean studs, not joists (unless you are gibbing the floor?).

No, you don't need dwangs where the sheet join is. Taping and stopping is all it needs.

simeon_, Jun 27, 10:44pm
yes studs.

cleggyboy, Jun 27, 10:48pm
I have one of these houses, although not a gib problem,I strongly advise check out the vermin proofing along the bottom after the old gib has been removed. By this age it may need replacing and could be a saving of real hassles in the future.
I have recently had vermin in my walls, so I presume the mesh has now corroded and the blighters are getting in through that.

pogram0, Dec 4, 11:09am
Worst part is the plastering - it needs to be sanded after it has been stopped. I am still trying to get rid of the dust months later!