Painting a brick house.

msnz1, Sep 9, 7:44am
Standard Beazley 1960's house built with "Huntly Brick" (yellow/golden/brown mix) with painted white wooden joinery. I am considering painting the brick in a dark grey or light charcoal. Have been told that Resene Lumbersider will act as undercoat and top coat but have also been told by others that it will require a sealer before topcoat?
Does anyone have any advice and/or ideas please. Thanks.

automan5, Sep 9, 7:53am
I have used lumbersider to paint brick in the past with no problems, two good coats and it never ''fell off'' Some people recommend an oil based primer first, but i found no dramas. Talk to Resene and see what they recommend.

owen106, Sep 9, 8:34am
You want to paint a maintenance-free product!

underconstructy, Sep 9, 9:31am
Painted brick look disgusting!

macandrosie, Sep 9, 9:51am
I think painted rough cast homes look really smart painted in the mushroom or grey colours especially with white windows either aluminium or timber. And a nice grey friars grey for the roof. Brings them into the 21st century! Plenty of people have done them - you only have to have a look around towns to get some ideas. Good on them for giving it a try.

jonners2013, Sep 9, 9:59am
i think it depends entirely on the type/style of house. ie a 1950s red brick home can have a certain charm whereas some of the newer (60s/70s for eg) coloured bricks like yellow etc, can look pretty horrid.

the one thing is that once brick is painted, it is painted for good, there is no undoing it. so you've got to be 110% sure you want to do it!

tahnasha, Sep 9, 10:47am
I got my brick house rendered, looks so much better than painted brick, but that's just my opinion.

marte, Sep 9, 11:25am
You can paint a clear silicon paint over the brick and it will make it waterproof.
It also helps act as insulation since the briicks got a lot less water in it once it drys out.= warmer house.

pleco, Sep 9, 7:50pm
I would never buy a painted brick house and agree with previous comment - rendered is much nicer if you really hate the brick that much.

maccachic1, Sep 9, 10:42pm
I wouldn't buy one by choice either low maintenance all the way for me

samanya, Sep 10, 4:16am
Is there a difference between plaster & rendering?
Do you mind if I ask how much it was?
My house is brick & being, large, long, single storied & a reasonably modern design, round 300sq m but does have heaps of windows & it would look great plastered . but I'm thinking it would be too expensive for my budget.

groovie1, Sep 10, 7:12am
I love my 60s brick house with its dappled terracotta bricks and I'm seriously interested in that clear silicone paint suggestion for this summer.

cagivachick1, Sep 10, 7:40am
plastering and rendering is the same thing, work on $70 m2 for cost plus gst plus scaffold if needed

mtbotrev, Sep 10, 8:43am
I spray painted the roughcast bricks on our previous house. was easier than brush painting. Keen to render our existing lower brick level so thanx for pricing idea above.

nzdoug, Sep 10, 8:48am
Sand blast when everthing else has been done.

rojill, Sep 10, 9:03am
It is a Brick veneer, not roughcast as you believe.

tahnasha, Sep 10, 10:42am
Some people call it rendering, some solid plastering, it's the same thing. My husband's friend put him on to some company that didn't have much on at the time (a few years ago), so they did it for cash, I think it cost about $3.5k. It was a lot less than I thought it was going to be and they did a great job. I'm in Oz though, so it would probably cost about $50 million to do it there LOL.

samanya, Oct 4, 4:06pm
Thanks for the answers re cost of plastering. It certainly is a lot less than I imagined. I did get a 'guesstimate' once & it was up around the $20,000 mark.