Putting in new kitchen want gas hobbs is it legal

Page 1 / 2
john7891, Feb 3, 7:18am
Have had all types of cook top. Now have induction and would not go back to any of the others. Induction = clean and quick.

pestri, Feb 3, 7:24am
Do NOT do that, put you gas bottle on outside wall where's the problem!

easygoer, Feb 3, 10:00am
Pleased to hear this, I have just purchased an Induction hob for my new kitchen, I was intending to fit gas hob but decided it would berather cluttered looking on the new bench, after a demo with the induction hob I didn't hesitate to purchase one

issymae, Feb 3, 8:39pm
still waiting for my induction hob to be installed; no more burnt spillovers and quicker than ordinary one. had one in previous house and really miss it.

barbiegirls, Feb 5, 10:15pm
I have just had this done.You have to have a pipe conected and the gas bottle outside.We made a little cupboard outside for the bottle

elect70, Feb 6, 3:32am
Until they pack up, & itscomplete replacement , ive come accross 2 so far1 under warrantyluckily.$$$

brocton, Feb 7, 6:34am
My gas hob installed 12 years ago the bottle is under in a cupboard. I need a new hob and to have new the bottle needs to be out side and piped by a licenced fitter to the hob. These are the new regs, and fire insurance would only cover you if this is so. After all it is saqfer should the bottle have a malfunction

issymae, Feb 7, 11:49pm
induction hob installedthis morning ; can't wait to get tea on the go

sanders4, Feb 8, 5:45am
also elect70 a gas hob may be around $400 but at least another $1000 for induction- is this cost effective! Our 4.5kg bottle in cupboard lasts 4-6 months and $15 to fill up! However we are also safety conscious and always turn bottle off as soon as cooking has finished.

supernova2, Feb 9, 7:22am
No matter what the rules i wouldn't want the bottle in a cupboard.Problem with retrofits is that when you have a slab floor and want the hob on an inside wall how do you get the pipe outside.Could work out very expensive.We just took out a mains gas hot water heater and changed it to continuous.We have a slab and brick.As our luck wouold have it we also had some old gas pipe system that had to be replaced to new spec so off with the wall linings, part of the roof etc.So not only gas fitters but builders, plasterers and painters.Great not.

gillywilly2, May 20, 6:38am
to connect it up to a 9k gas bottle that is stored in a kitchen cupboard.I know the place my nephew rents has this.I dont want any other gas appliances as I have a fire with wetback and an electric oven.

mark_g, May 20, 6:52am
Check with your council but as a general rule yes, in most areas it is legal but --- The cupboard or storage area must be directly vented to outside. So, in new instalations of this type you must go to some length to ventilate the cupboard/storage area to outside air.

gillywilly2, May 20, 6:53am
Thanks Mark.His is vented into the room not sure how we will get on as its on old house will have to go into it.

captaingraham, May 20, 8:01am
I don't think gas bottles are allowed in the cupboard any more. Must be outside.

zirconium, May 20, 8:08am
I think it may depend on the size of the gas bottle, you may be able to get away with a 5kg one.

aredwood, May 20, 8:56am
It needs to be vented to the outside regardless of bottle size. And the bottle size can't be any bigger than 9kg.

greenbadge, May 21, 3:16am
I Run the hob with a 9kg that is outside ,pretty easy to install,must be done by a plumber/gasfitter and sighned off by coucil.
If you use a small gas cylinder it may not be able to keep up if you are cooking up a storm with all 4 hobbs going.9kg is best mine lasts for months and months.

teroopu, May 21, 4:57am
We have a 9kg bottle outside.It had to be reinstalled by a plumber and such as the previous owners had done it wrong and used rubber hose (Has to be copper now).9kg generally takes about a month till empty.

carter19, May 21, 5:18am
Copper is not the only product on the market that is licensed for use with gas.

kuaka, May 21, 7:43am
We have a 9kg bottle and it is located in the most ridiculous place - I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea to put it where it is, but it's in a small gap between a block wall of the basement and the foundations of the rest of the house.To access it my husband has to squeeze between the block wall and some pipes.The pipes have to be pushed aside slightly to get the bottle into the space, then hubby has to climb a step ladder to swap the bottle which is located on a shelf which he can only just reach by standing on the top of the ladder. (I would have no show of lugging a 9kg bottle up the step ladder and changing the bottles over - heaven forbid it ever needs changing if hubby is sick or in hospital).We got a gas fitter round to have a look at moving the bottle to somewhere more easily accessed, and he was adamant that it has to be vented to the outside, and that it is definitely not a DIY job.To relocate the bottle is going to involve quite a lot of work and expense, so every time we change it, we say "we must get this moved" and then promptly forget about it till the next time it needs changing.

aredwood, May 21, 9:30am
Why can't the pipe be extended so the bottle can go in a better location outside! The pipe can also be buried so maybe the bottle could sit against a fence or some other place in the garden.

kaddiew, May 21, 10:14am
I have an outside (covered) 9kg gas bottle for my gas hob. So far it's lasted me 7 months and still going strong.

tillsbury, May 21, 10:23am
Must be installed by registered gas fitter, must be outside.Don't even think of doing this yourself or you will be uninsured.Canterbury gas did one for me recently for $245 all up.You need the signed gas certificate.Will last 3-5 months or so depending how much you cook.

fordcrzy, May 21, 10:50am
you can have a flexible hose on a bottle but it cant be any longer than 1.5m any longer than that and you have to hardpipe it.

also you have to have a 900mm rangehood above it. the 600mm hoods dont move enough air.

fordcrzy, May 21, 10:51am
oh and make sure you get the hob jetted for lpg, not natural gas.