Putting in new kitchen want gas hobbs is it legal

Page 2 / 2
kuaka, May 21, 11:02am
I absolutely agree with this statement.When we had the gasfitter in to see what was involved in moving the gas cylinder, I asked him about the gas hob as I was sick of the sooty saucepans.He took one look and said it had the wrong jets, and ordered the correct ones, came back a week later and fitted them.Now instead of cursing the dirty black sooty hob, it's great.Can't believe I put up with it for 3 years (and the previous owners must have put up with it for 8 years!)

net_oz, May 21, 5:20pm
All these regulations are a bit silly when it is ok to have a portable gas heater operating in the house.

lrosebudl, May 21, 7:37pm
We moved into our house that had it in the hot water cupboard! It has now been moved to the outside of the house - feel alot safer!

traderat, May 21, 9:02pm
Install an Induction hob instead. 30% faster than gas, 90% more efficient.

clothesman, May 21, 9:55pm
Something might be wrong with your oven or bottle - ours takes 5 to 6 months to empty and that's cooking on it six nights a week, sometimes with several hobs going.

rsr72, May 21, 11:35pm
Yes, the absolute best to have.

mm12345, May 22, 12:52am
And this:
Cookware must be compatible with induction heating; glass and ceramics are unusable, as are solid copper or solid aluminum cookware. Cookware must have a flat bottom since the magnetic field drops rapidly with distance from the surface. (Special and costly surfaces are available for use with round-bottom woks.) Induction rings are a metal plate that heat up a non-ferrous pot by contact, but these sacrifice much of the power and efficiency of direct use of induction in a compatible cooking vessel.
Manufacturers advise consumers that the glass ceramic top can be damaged by impact, although cooking surfaces are required to meet minimal product safety standards for impact.[16] Aluminum foil can melt onto the top and cause permanent damage or cracking of the top. Damage by impact also relates to sliding pans across the cooking surface, which users are advised against. As with other electric ceramic cooking surfaces there may be a maximum pan size allowed by the manufacturer.
A small amount of noise is generated by an internal cooling fan. Audible noise (a hum or buzz) may be produced by cookware exposed to high magnetic fields, especially at high power or if the cookware has loose parts. Some users may detect a whistle or whine sound from the cookware, or from the power electronic devices. Some cooking techniques available when cooking over a flame are not applicable. Persons with implanted cardiac pacemakers or other electronic medical implants may be advised by their doctors to avoid proximity to induction cooking surfaces and other sources of magnetic fields.[14] Radio receivers near the unit may pick up some electromagnetic interference.
Gas-fired appliances do not need electric power to operate; an induction (or any electric) stove will not be operable during a power outage .

gillywilly2, May 22, 8:10am
Wow thanks for all your help.I have noted what everyone says.

mkbooks, May 22, 8:54am
You live in an earthquake zone-cylinder should be well secured, preferrably outside-if it came lose during an earthquake, as could happen in a cupboard, could become a flying bomb

aredwood, May 22, 9:15am
Parts of that are already out of date. Although no gas cert is required a gasfitter must still install the hob and pipework ect. Also the ventilation opening sizes mentioned above are wrong as well. Have a look at http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2006/0074/latest/DLM397067.html

A bit worrying that a document put out by the council in 2011 hasn't been updated to reflect the law changes in 2006!

vandewc, May 22, 9:21am
Ditto. Must be located outside

rsr72, May 22, 11:09am
#25- Mostly rubbish.

Most cookware is now flat-bottomed and made for induction tops.
There is no noise or 'hum' from them at all.
They have no effect upon radios nor any other electronic articles nearby.
They electronically adjust the heating surface to any size pot placed on a cook surface.
The cook top never gets hot.

Glass cook tops of all kinds have been around and extensively used for at least thirty years without any problems.
Induction tops are far faster, and more efficient than any other form of cook tops, easier to clean, easier to maintain.

mm12345, May 22, 9:03pm
That list was from Wikipedia, which of course you are welcome to edit with your contribution.
Yes I agree about the magnetic interference concern - it seems a little crazy.

However, some of the issues raised are correct.The ideal solution (IMO) would be a gas/induction combination cooktop.I have seen them on display, but the one I saw was very expensive.

russ18, May 22, 9:17pm
One problem I'm seeing these days with induction hobs especially in combination with some of the larger double wall ovens is total loading.
It is easy to max out the mains cable to your house, IMO if you want a lot of heat then gas can often be the better option.

mm12345, May 22, 9:21pm
The various acts are a mess to follow.The link that you put above doesn't lead to any information about vent sizes.Specifics are probably gazetted elsewhere.Then throw in to the mix that various NZ Standards are referred to, and that those standards which become part of legislation affecting every New Zealander are only available at a cost - and often a high cost.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but pointing out that information and legislation is so convoluted - and that may explain why even a major Council may have got things wrong.

russ18, May 23, 12:15am
There is a draft copy of new electrical wiring rules that now includes minimum distances for power points etc from gas cylinders and regulators.
For an exchange cylinder it starts at 1.5 metres from the centre of cylinder at ground level up to 500mm from centre at 500mm above the top of the cylinder valve.
If this passed and becomes part of the wiring rules it would mean that you probably couldn't have a cylinder in a cupboard containing any electrical fittings. Maybe not a silly idea!

carter19, May 23, 3:19am
The gas regs already state that you can;t have the gas bottle in a cupboard with an electrical outlet. Has been stated at No 22

russ18, May 23, 3:31am
Problem there is sparkys don't work to gas regs.

aredwood, May 23, 7:29am
The vent sizes are in the gas standard. Since the standards are copyright they are not freely available on the net therefore I can't provide a link. I said that the wrong ones had been quoted by the council so no one would do the wrong thing. Also a joint Aus/Nz standard for gas installations has been released. The old Nz only one can't be used next year.

I don't intend any of what I have said in my posts to be a personal attack. I just want the correct info to be posted. BTW I already have a copy of the new gas standard. But im a Gasfitter and plumber by trade so I have to maintain current copies of the relevant standards.

aredwood, May 23, 7:33am
Thanks for posting, i will check my copy of the gas standard later tonight and see if those distances are the same.

guest, Oct 9, 1:40pm
Hi Dave. I'm going to start with two kinds of soup as you can't go wrong with cooking soup. Once I've got the hang of the bnerurs I'll try something a bit trickier. Rice is hard to keep warm without it burning so i think I'll have to get a rice cooker in a bit once I've made some money. Nothing wrong with veg stock cubes...

guest, Oct 11, 8:21am
Smart! One for Moong Dahl, one for rice? Or will you keep the rice warm in something else? Will there be suidrnes, Bargies etc?I like to add veg stock cubes to my curries, does that make me a curry pleb?

guest, May 29, 2:08pm
Hi Dave. I'm going to start with two kinds of soup as you can't go wrong with cooking soup. Once I've got the hang of the bunerrs I'll try something a bit trickier. Rice is hard to keep warm without it burning so i think I'll have to get a rice cooker in a bit once I've made some money. Nothing wrong with veg stock cubes...