Lawn mower repair strategy

Page 2 / 2
m16d, Jan 13, 10:19am

elect70, Jan 17, 5:12pm
Ive had enough of lawnmowers tempermental things , my section is1100
sq M is mostly kikuia & hard on lawnmowers so now i have a contractor mow them trim the edges take away the clippings & sweep up the paths & drive all for $50 ill never buy another lawnmower

serf407, Jan 17, 8:14pm
update - the repair shops estimated time until the mower could be looked at was the usual for this time of year. So I decided to do some more investigation.

The petrol tank cap venting design (or overlooked quality control - seems to be a bit poorly made and got through inspection or something) could be one issue. The mower ran for bit and coughed out. I loosened off the petrol cap on the threads and after a number of pull cord pulls the mower eventually chugged to a start and kept going, I retightened the petrol cap but not as tight as before.

Have a few other theories to check.

yz490, Jan 17, 11:52pm
Hope you have a good outcome. You can buy some pretty good cheap Chinese mowers these days that would suit an average lawn for under $500 maybe under $400. i use one myself & motor will outlast the body. Luckily you haven't broken a rear axle [like i've just been fixing in the Hydrostatic Drive of a Cub Cadet Rideon--was quite a learning curve 'that'].

trade_menow, Jan 18, 2:37am
recently purchased a ego mower from mitre 10 - Love it no more pull cords - buying petrol / oil and keeping it topped up . spark plugs - air filters no more
came with a 5ah battery but only seemed to do half the lawn - no biggie as only took a hour to recharge ( give myself a rest ) and then get back to it but got a 7.5ah battery not to long ago and it does the entire yard - its also quiet compared to the gas powered mowers and all the reviews seem great so if your after a battery mower - go for it

neell, Jan 18, 8:03am
Well done.
However your post proves my point - you say "I'm a girl" - as tho it makes you special.
What you described as doing is expected to be the norm for males - well it was in the past.

mrfxit, Jan 20, 9:01am
Most ppl have this idea of "recycling", being only raw metal recovery, (Raw metals/ gold recovery etc).
Thats also how the council & most scrap dealers operate (raw metal recovery only).
They don't generally "repurpose or resell" anything
Most of the Re-use" recycling being done these days is more of a Craft type situation or second hand dealers & I get a lot of my customers are amazed that I can run a business reselling items for reuse, rather then just breaking it down for scrap metal

mrfxit, Jan 20, 9:04am
First . you need to know how to use those tools.
LOL, The warehouse, large scale shop of $2/$5 shop tools

marte, Jan 20, 6:29pm
If it's not reving as high, or getting up to the revs as quick, I'd check the flywheels not shifted on the shaft.
If you hit something with the mower & stall it, or even enough to slow it down really fast, then the flywheel can shift on the shaft & throw the timing out.

Even though it's got a 'Shear key', it's Aluminium & it can deform & it's got enough slop in it to let the spark timing get out of wack with the piston.

That's always my first guess. But next is the carby.
Though I have had almost everything else go bad on a lawnmower over the years. And fixed it.

tegretol, Jan 23, 12:26am
What just like the $1.99 sox that you can buy in the Whorehouse? Why not spend a bit more and get NZ made decent quality ones?

kitkat66, Jan 23, 2:35pm
And if it's a Briggs Stratton, it still wont go.

tegretol, Aug 23, 6:02pm
The ole Biggs & Shatton eh! Ya can't beat Honda for stationary motors.