Anyone here use a zero turn mower?

dropstix, Feb 25, 9:33pm
Just wondering how they compare to a ride-on. It's time to replace the tRusty MTD rideon. What are pros and cons! With 6 hilly-sh acres will the 0-turn need arm rests! Are they comfortable! People say they are quicker. Did anyone notice this!People say they need less HP per " cutting width. Why and what would you suggest for 42" - I'm thinking 20-22HP!

Thanks.

granada, Feb 26, 11:09pm
Buy a walker zero turn, I have had one for ten years and it goes great.I putthe big mud grip tyres on it for doing hill climbs . It goes well on the flat and is much quicker than a standard lawn tractor. Dont be talked into another MTD,they are toys. Have a chat with your local mowing contractors, most seem to use Kobota or walker for a reason.

dropstix, Feb 27, 12:38am
Thanks granada. There's a used walker on trademe.$15k. Ain't gonna happen.
Like it or not, price plays a large part. That $2k MTD has lasted 9 years and owes us nothing.

I've read that going sideways across a steepish hill is not much fun on a zero-turn (it has trouble tracking straight) and they can have some trouble with control/braking going down steep terrain. Not sure how much of that is true.

Cant find any in the $3k budget anyway so probably have no option but to stick with the usual ride-on.

smiler127, Feb 27, 5:37am
We've just got a Big Dog mower made in the U.S., they are similar to Walkers but half the price. Solid as, easy to use, even for me, and gives a fantastic cut. The mower shop brought several including a Walker for us to try out, before we made a decision. We have slopes, flat bits and curves and over an acre of lawn plus the verges on our driveway.
Easy to service if you.re handy with tools.

laurie9, Mar 28, 6:11am
Have a good look at a Kingcat Savanah they come up on here periodicaly
for around the 3-5000 mark,.Kingcats are built for NZ conditions I contracted with one for 6 years and did over 4000 hours,that mower has had angine replacement,but is still going strong today,take particular notice of the strength of the deck.You will need to get experience to control a zero turn on slopes,it is not as easy as it looks,good luck.