Ride on mower advice please

27pukeko, Mar 7, 8:57pm
Hi, I am looking to purchase a ride on mower for my small lifestyle block where I run horses. My paddocks are mainly flat but have the odd bump and hole. I am after a sturdy mower to run around to cut all the crap the horses don't eat and from time to time run over some poo (I mainly collect and harrow). I have an old John Deere that came with the property which was perfect but it was so old the mower deck fell to bits and it only has one speed - full steam ahead, and the wheels get stuck if turning right. So not the safest lol I normally need a few beers for courage before harrowing my paddocks using that.
I dont really have a budget in mind, obviously want the best bang for buck!
Any advice?

jenny791, Mar 7, 9:28pm
Have a look at Big Dog Mowers.
After looking at many types of mower, we purchased a Big Dog. It seemed to have a much sturdier frame than many on the market. It mulches very well, and is very manouverable. We are most impressed with it, and happy to recommend this brand.

27pukeko, Mar 7, 9:39pm
Thanks Jenny, I will google them :)

pc_uncorrect, Mar 8, 2:08am
We have a 'Stiga Tornado', it's smaller than our previous unit (Walker Zero Turn, commercial unit), easier to maintain & user friendly.

bill1451, Mar 8, 6:45am
The answer is from my ten years of experience with a lifestyle block and some fairly rough ground, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH SMALL WHEELS/TYRES. I have just brought my 2nd JD in 10 years for $510.00 so if it gets
Knocked around , no matter.unless you are prepared to spend serious coin on
A topline jd or kubota,. dont bother go for side discharge, as rear discharge
Earlier models have timed blades, which if they get out of time will hit each other and destroy themselves, (they have toothed belts and pulleys)my 10c worth.

bill1451, Mar 8, 6:59am
Google various makes/models as even jd have versions that sell Iin department stores, thinner steel, lighter bearings , built to a price, by trawling the net I looked at various threads and worked out which models to stay away from in jd at least.

rojill, Mar 8, 10:07am
Keep away from MTD brand. All models suffer from very weak and poorly designed steering linkages and high wear on pressed gear wheel at base of steering column.

27pukeko, Mar 9, 3:31am
Thanks everyone.- I prefer one of the ones that looks like a little tractor as opposed to the ones that look like you are sitting on the toilet lol
I scared if I go down my driveway on the toilet model I'll fall off the front of it!
One with a beer holder would be great as well - mowing is thirsty work!

27pukeko, Mar 9, 3:49am
Are they any good on bumpy ground? And what price range are they? I googled them but no prices :)
Thanks

harrislucinda, Mar 9, 4:30am
what about a Kubota comes in different sizes Just brought a bigger 1

harrislucinda, Mar 9, 4:31am

yz490, Mar 9, 10:00am
Hi, neighbour has a [big yellow] rideon & does the wide side of our road with it outside his property but still uses his old Fergy with mower to top his horse paddocks & harrow them. I'd say stick to a tractor & mower for [what's the word] robustness & reliability/longevity etc. Cheers.

bill1451, Mar 9, 10:14am
Maybe consider a 4 wheeler and one of those tow behind mowers with about
A 15hp honda on it, likes of your stigas and mtd/murrays, cadets etc, will just not hack it for very long, or look for a fergy with a topper mower.

27pukeko, Mar 9, 11:29pm
My old JD did a good job until the mower deck fell off (it was old as Moses and full of rust - came with the property).
Those tow things look good for the paddocks but would not be usable for around the house and outbuildings.
My paddocks are not that big so the mower wouldn't be thrashed :)
Will have a google of the kabotas :)

les6, Mar 10, 4:02am
mowers are for lawn grass?horse shit and rank weeds will make any fall off?

27pukeko, Feb 27, 5:00pm
Got a husqvarna - does a top job :)