Lawn mower recommendations please

nonumbers, Feb 1, 3:12am
I am looking for a light weight, easy start mower for a smallish flat section. I would prefer one where I didn't have to mix oil and petrol.
Any ideas and any to avoid?
TIA

dee238, Feb 1, 3:16am
Given the above - have you considered an electric mower?

nonumbers, Feb 1, 3:19am
No, not really but any more info re price?

dee238, Feb 1, 3:25am
There are heaps for sale here on Trade Me. Just put electric lawnmower in the search box above. Also try Mitre 10, Bunnings, etc.

d.snell, Feb 1, 3:44am
What do you class as "smallish"? How long does it take to mow it ? Electric is good if it's less than 20 mins. Also, if you don't plug in to charge after every mow, chances are battery will be to low to mow lawns when you need it .
The budget mowers with 4 stroke 450 series Briggs + Stratton engines for about $250 at Mitre 10 or Bunnings are all you need. Just look after them, keep them clean and dry and they will easily last 10 years.

nonumbers, Feb 1, 5:57am
Takes about 30 minutes which includes road frontage so dragging a cord across the footpath probably not a good idea. Battery mowers are out - too heavy - or at least the Victa one I tried was. Bunnings it will have to be - no Mitre 10 nearby.
Thanks for the suggestions.

-bookzone-, Feb 1, 6:10am
Make sure you follow the oil change recommendations when running-in a new mower. First oil change after 5 hour's use, etc. Is important, as the initial oil will be full of metal filings from the engine components bedding in. It may take about three, or more changes before the filing situation reduces greatly.

Oh, make sure it actually *has* oil in the sump before the first start, as they often don't have any when not bought from a mower shop.

stevo2, Feb 1, 6:38am
If you buy from a mower shop, they generally offer the fist 5 hour service free of charge.

singing1, Feb 1, 7:22pm
If it takes you 30 minutes to mow plus gas and mower maintenance it may be cheaper to get a man with a mower to come and do the job for $25. It will take him ten minutes and he will buy his own gas and take the clippings away. And you can enjoy that special book you have been trying to finish.

nonumbers, Feb 1, 7:38pm
Singing - tried that, didn't work. Having my own mower would mean I can use it when I want to and at a height that doesn't give the worms a buzz cut.
Edited to add - it took the mower man longer than 10 minutes . . .

deanna14, Feb 1, 10:48pm
I love my self propelling electric start Torro. Takes straight petrol.

tigra, Feb 1, 11:02pm
Yeah? And next year he will want $30 and the year after that. ? 10 mows and you have paid for it. gas cost is negligible.

nonumbers, Feb 1, 11:55pm
Yep, tigra, that was what I was thinking, too . . . Local Warehouse has something cheap and hopefully cheerful so will suss hem out later in the week.

d.snell, Feb 2, 1:22am
just keep away from the cheapest mower with the Chinese engine, they are bad. As I said this Rhino for $259 from Bunnings is all you will need http://www.bunnings.co.nz/rhino-4-stroke-petrol-lawn-mower-148cc-_p00189348

tigra, Feb 2, 1:47am
Seem to recall somebody (maybe Mitre 10) was selling mowers with B&S engines for $229 last week but seemingly no good for you as evidently no Mitre 10 nearby. I recently sold my old Warehouse mower after some 10 years for $50 and bought a similar one for $179

-bookzone-, Feb 2, 4:56am
I think that's basically the same mower (made by Morrison) that Mitre10 sell, just with a few differences, like the handle shape, etc.

d.snell, Feb 2, 11:12am
The Mitre10 (Jobmate or Cobra) one is 18" cut and built by Victa, New Zealand. The Bunnings one (Rhino) is 17" cut and made in Aussie (I Think) by Morrison or Masport. Also I'm sure the blades are different, one is a straight blade and the other is a disc, which is better. They both have the same 450 series Briggs & Stratton engine. (Built in China to USA specs) and full supported 2 year warranty

-bookzone-, Feb 2, 6:53pm
I just bought a Jobmate recently, and it's got a large Morrison manufacturers identification plate on the deck.

d.snell, Feb 2, 9:13pm
My fault, I have a Cobra (also from mitre10) and it has a Morrison Label on it as well. Got my Morrison's and Victa's mixed up, (too dark to have a look) Does the Jobmate also have a straight blade or does it have a Disc?

tessie2, Jul 27, 8:21pm
Bought my very senior but still independent Mum a Victa V-Force+ Lithium-Ion lawnmower, the smaller 16" plastic body one. Am amazed at how long the battery lasts - about 30-40 mins and recharges in a couple of hours. This battery is lighter than and has no memory build up like the SLA batteries.