House plant ID please

Page 1 / 2
maclad, Jul 21, 8:00pm
No photo sorry and a long shot. In Palmers today I came across a baby house plant which I remember selling in the 70's when I worked in the Garden Centre. It is a climber/hanging plant with a purple/greenish leaf. I can remember it's cultivar name was "Purple Genie" as far as I know. Leaf was soft, a bit furry/hairy and the leaf cut or divided, not sure how to describe that. Was the rage for brief while. Any help naming it appreciated please.

silvertiger7, Jul 21, 8:23pm
Gynura aurantiaca maybe? Lovely purple plant.

maclad, Jul 22, 11:31am
No sorry not that one

kateley, Jul 22, 12:07pm
we used to sell a purple tradescantia - but the leaves weren't divided

maclad, Jul 22, 1:44pm
I will get a pic if they have any left.

silvertiger7, Jul 22, 2:36pm
Maybe Mikania ternata AKA M. apiifolia or the Purple Pleasure plant?

piquant, Jul 22, 7:44pm
I can't come up with anything else other than those mentioned - especially the furry bit and the dissected foliage has me a bit stumped too. I have no idea about the name Purple Genie (sorry) but could it possibly have been something like a plectranthus cutivar? Foliage green on the top and purple underneath - not really very dissected but has lavender to purple flowers and a slightly furry leaf. Any more clues - does it flower, can you remember? Mind you - pot plants were never my strong point!

lakeview3, Jul 22, 7:53pm
I have been racking (? ) my brain - it’s not pepperomia is it?

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 22, 8:10pm
There is a purple cissus, and there is moses in a basket, as well as oxalis.

And those along with tradescantia are the only purples I have! So I am intrigued.

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 22, 8:10pm
The cissus is a climber.

lakeview3, Jul 22, 8:32pm
ah yes! I used to have one of those (cissus) a green one. And they are furry.

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 22, 8:39pm
I grew mine from a single leaf cutting kindly donated to me by a lovely lady in a very gorgeous plant place in the city. I am hoping it survives, it can be a bit temperamental I believe. But it is a very pretty thing.

sumstyle, Jul 23, 10:30pm
Gosh, I'd forgotten about this plant - I remember loving mine to death in the 90s. Such a vibrant purple.

Thank you for the brain bump!

maclad, Jul 24, 3:42pm

wine-o-clock, Jul 24, 4:23pm
a type of begonia?

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 24, 4:42pm
Your description was bang on the money maclad. And I have no idea, but I have seen that before. Probably shouldn't admit that on account of it gives away my age, lol.

maclad, Jul 24, 4:55pm
Ha, ha me too. Been ages since I have seen it. Really got me wanting to know what it is as I am getting older and on very odd occasions my memory fails me.

lakeview3, Jul 24, 5:06pm
I have never seen it before either.

lakeview3, Jul 24, 5:07pm
Or is it a kangaroo vine (cissus)? 🤔🤔🤔

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 25, 11:47am
The leaf is very reminiscent of cissus, the green form, in shape, but cissus isn't hairy.

maclad, Jul 25, 12:25pm
I agree, it is the hairyness that is making ID harder

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 25, 2:37pm
I keep thinking begonia, along the lines of the strawberry begonia, saxifraga.

I think you are going to have to beat up the retailer till they ring the supplier and identify it so we can all be put out of our misery.

You never know, this could be the new Must Have plant, lol.

lyma1, Jul 25, 3:22pm

wheelz, Jul 26, 9:44am
I've grown OP plant many years ago. it wasn't an easy plant to keep alive. more suited to a hot house situation I thought, hates dry air and overwatering.
It's at the garden centre here as a mini plant at the moment.
Have you heard of the app " picture this" ? If so, that should give you the answer. Or ask Zealandia. they deal in houseplant.

hesian, Jul 26, 11:39am
I believe there is an app if you are that sort of person and have a cellphone called What Plant is this? I am seriously consider getting it as I am constantly confounded by plant names and spend time in Pukerura Park. The trouble with apps is that you have to give all sorts of permissions and then end up bombarded with various ads. Even the Covid App seemed to be the start of an occasional one!