How to quieten a spa?

jmm111, Nov 13, 1:31pm
We have bought a spa and our neighbour keeps complaining about the noise.
It's a relatively quiet one, and her family can't hear it and nor can we unless we're in it. But there you go. She has "very sensitive" hearing apparently.
I was thinking of putting a rubber mat under it. Any suggestions as to where I can buy one?

tweake, Nov 13, 5:33pm
depends on whats making the noise and the freq of the noise. ie is it noise of the bubbles or the pump.
rubber under the feet so its isolated off the deck can help.

tegretol, Nov 13, 6:26pm
If the complainants family can't hear it but she can then you've answered your own question. Don't spend money on a rubber mat, that will do nothing other than deplete your bank balance.

Have you have any other disagreements with the same woman?

Perhaps invite her over for a dip in the spa and a glass of wine and get her on your side. ?

tweake, Nov 13, 6:46pm
some people do hear better than others, or find certain noises more annoying.
its not always the person being a nob.

socram, Nov 13, 7:01pm
As above.

You could also try taking off the front panel, which may only be about 5mm thick cedar and attaching some thick felt, egg boxes, foam, polystyrene or other sound deadening material. You may even do the same to the other sides.

You haven't stated what it is standing on at the moment. If a deck, it will probably be noisier than on solid ground/concrete. My guess is that you have it on a deck.

My hearing isn't so good, but I have been kept awake at several motels and hotels from excessive bass music, from outside, which basically vibrates even through double glazing.

frank1, Nov 13, 7:32pm
#5 so what has bass music got to do with so called noisy spa?
Personally I would tell her to go get a life,we have a spa on our deck, and not very noisy at all, when jets are on.

tegretol, Nov 13, 8:15pm
Well the first step would be to invite her over to share a hot dip and a glass of wine and if that fails then turn ferral. But at least give the woman a chance.

socram, Nov 13, 8:41pm
It was a reference to what noises can upset some people, but it isn't always the noise, it can also be the vibration that is annoying. You may not notice the noise when you are in the spa any more than I don't hear the exhaust noise of my V8 when I am in the car!

You can tell a neighbour to get a life I suppose, but it depends on how much you appreciate your neighbourhood/neighbours!

nicc4, Nov 13, 9:09pm
When you are in it, shes probably sneaked closer to have a perv. When she cant see anything, then complains about the noise.

lovelurking, Nov 13, 9:44pm
I think it would be a hell job to lift it to put a mat under it.
We bought a second hand one and put it on a timer so it wasn’t running at night because it had a horrible hum that did my head in.
We also put batts in behind the wood panels which we thought might have made a difference.
We now have a new one and don’t hear it at all. Much easier to live with.

harrislucinda, Nov 15, 9:43am
long way from our neighbours but mine is outside our dining window along the wall never hear it thru the day but i do turn off at night

nukhelenc, Sep 9, 7:59pm
Tell the lady the size of the spa and if she would like to try a rubber Matt under it your happy to empty it and slide her mat under, if she doesn't wanna pay for the mat then she hasn't got a problem basically.
Different motor mount supports as well.
Tell her yall be happy to try things that she comes up with.