Garden Shop not including tray liner when selling

Page 1 / 2
karlymouse, May 30, 5:36pm
potted plant. I haven't bought a plant from a plant shop for ages and yesterday bought a pretty expensive one (I thought it was under under $100) when I paid for it the cashier took the liner and put it aside, and when I asked about said, oh they are not included . this is Nicolls in Dunedin. Seems a skinflint thing to do IMO . pretty sure when they bought the plant it came with the liner . anyone else had this experience ?

brrr, May 30, 5:53pm
Never, that is a bit skimpy isn't it?

lilyfield, May 30, 6:29pm
Was it plastic? Then good on her.

karlymouse, May 30, 8:59pm
How so. that plant was in a plastic pot also. should they have removed that also ?

hound31, May 30, 9:32pm
Stupid question, what's a liner? You don't mean the saucer underneath do you?

shanreagh, May 30, 10:10pm
Yes must assume that. I've never heard of it being called a liner though. My garden centre usually offers me a boot liner but I am sure that is not what is meant. If the plant had a special pot and it is sitting on a matching saucer then yes the saucer should have come along with it.

Actually even if the saucer is plastic it does seem a bit mean not to include it. Some times they are specially made to go with the pot. ie got little lugs so that the pot fits snuggly.

I would ring them OP.

karlymouse, May 30, 10:21pm
I am not responsible for you not knowing something

karlymouse, May 30, 10:24pm
Yes I think I will - just seemed petty and odd. all the plants were displayed with one

hound31, May 30, 10:45pm
Wow! Nice response to a simple question. No wonder you didn't get your liner.

fendie, May 30, 11:43pm
I don't know what a liner is either.

heisei28, May 31, 5:10am
A liner is something you put the plant in so you can remove it from the pot.

Drip tray.
Pot tray.
Drainage base.
Moisture retention lipped pot saucer.
The thing that goes under the pot.

Unless you buy specific pots, trays are always sold separately.
It's extra $ on every sale.

Already potted, I would have insisted on the tray being included if it was included on the shelf.
I would have told them they'd be fine putting the plant back on the shelf
so they spend double the trays value in restocking.

Then I'd sprinkle 1000s of cannabis seeds in all the potted plants.

koru67, May 31, 6:56am
Neither do I. The only liner that came to mind was a boot liner but that makes no sense with what OP was buying.

karlymouse, May 31, 7:35am
Nice deflection. wouldn't take too much to work out what a liner was but you get all high horsed about a reponse to your snark

pico42, May 31, 8:45am
This response seems petty and odd.

I didn’t know what a liner was in this context either.

pico42, May 31, 8:46am
Easiest way to find out what a liner is was to ask… which they did… and got your snark in return.

woody89, May 31, 8:54am
I don't know what is meant by a liner either OP. Here in the NI, we buy a plant, usually in a cheap plastic pot. Usually they don't come with a drip tray either. Could you please elaborate?

amasser, May 31, 8:54am
Mention the Fair Trading Act as it may be misleading advertising - reasonable inference is that the tray was part of the item purchased.

hound31, May 31, 9:59am
Umm, I'm not the one who was snarky, it was a perfectly civil question.

nicc4, May 31, 10:07am
Wow look at the OP feedback. And the name is Karen!

erra, May 31, 10:16am
There is nothing wrong with 99.8% feedback.

lythande1, May 31, 12:28pm
Yes, saucer. I have millions of them, threw heaps out ages ago. look on Trademe.

gilligee, May 31, 12:41pm
I have never heard of a liner either and I have been around for a long time in the gardening world.

hound31, May 31, 12:43pm
Good to know that others have never heard of them either.

karlymouse, May 31, 2:19pm
Oh nice to know there is a person who aims to follow US trends, how relevant you are Niccola. a real trend setter

korban, May 31, 2:20pm
Wow no need to be rude. I have never heard a saucer/drip tray being called a liner.