How to eliminate ivy?

Page 1 / 2
gerry90, Mar 7, 9:58am
Do these tips also apply to black-eyed Susan? Its been sprayed many times, we keep cursing the friend who gave it to us without mentioning its creeping, crawling, invasive habits. From one end of the house , under the house to the other end, into pots and trying to strangle the plants therein.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 7, 10:22am
Ivy has two forms. As a young plant it climbs and creeps and propagates itself by root development. As an adult plant it becomes aboreal, and forms a branching tree and then produces flowers and seeds. To stop the random spread, do not allow it to become aboreal.

As for black eyed susan, do you mean thunbergia? Because that too is seed propagated, and needs containing at source. It is fairly easily removed though if you do it just before winter, and then remove any seedlings while young the following spring.

It is superb over a trellis to hide something unsightly though.

hezwez, Mar 7, 10:27am
I was successful in beating it forever by cutting it fairly close to the roots then attaching )with rubber bands) tiny old plastic pill bottles half filled with neat woody weedkiller to the cut ends closest to the roots so that they 'drank' it. Quick kill, never recurred.

mony8, Mar 7, 12:53pm
thank you so much,
I'm off to buy some woody weedkiller today, well worth a go!
mony8

shanreagh, Mar 7, 2:38pm
My mother used to this with ivy & couch and it really irked my dad who would 'tidy' them up so she used to write on the plastic bag or bottle 'do not touch! Time went on, she sold the house after Dad died and was surprised to get a ring from the new purchasers about 3 months after they bought, to see if it was OK if they touched them now as they wanted to do some gardening there.

gerry90, Mar 7, 4:15pm
l
No its scientific name is Rudbeckia hirta, well, I googled black eyed susan and that came up, but its not talking about the one we have.

shanreagh, Mar 7, 6:59pm
If it is the climber/creeper it is the Black Eyed Susan VINE is is Thunbergia Alata
Wki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunbergia_alata Black Eyed Susan or coneflower is not a creeper and can be easily removed. it is a lovely plant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudbeckia
It is a perennial so it is meant to come up year after year. So your garden needs to keep a space for it. But it is lovely scattered through a garden. it is a relative of echinacea.

Annuals you can buy or grow each year.

Think you will need to work out which one you are talking about. Generally the creeper ones are best removed when soft and young, don't let it seed if you cannot remove it at the correct time.

gerry90, Mar 8, 12:28pm
If it is the climber/creeper it is the Black Eyed Susan VINE is is Thunbergia Alata
Wki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunbergia_alata

Thank you shanreagh

tegretol, Mar 8, 11:30pm
No - use Tordon 2G granules. Way more effective on woody stumps, but it has to be applied within 5 mins of the cut if it's to penetrate the entire plant.

eddie14, Mar 9, 6:55pm

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 9, 8:13pm
Ahhh, my thunbergia is a plant eating monster, lol. It is currently swamping a mutabilis rose and is about to get a severe talking to.

brightlights60, Mar 9, 8:59pm
Going to stop you right there. Part of a qualification in Horticulture I did a few years back was a module on pesticides, herbicies and basically chemicals in the garden.

There is no such thing as "double strength" roundup. Its like taking 4 Panadol when the dose is 2. Waste of time, money and downright dangerous. The most dangerous part of using any chemicals in your garden ( and yes, I use the equivalent of Roundup, Turvfix, Woody Wood killer and aphid killer) is in the mixing. Do NOT ever use "double" or more than what is recommended, always wear gloves. protective clothing, do it outside, not inside a confined space, mask and or protective eye covering and always dispose of what is left over in your pump spray. Don't leave made up chemicals in containers. They don't "keep" and they are dangerous left lying around. So many accidents are caused by people being stupid with garden chemicals.

Back to OP, there is no easy fix for ivy. And yes, if its a "good year" things that are weeds, that take advantage of situations will grow like made. All you can do it pull it out, or dig it out by the roots, and poison with a specific poison like woody wood killer and keep poisoning it when you see the new growth. We had it right up our fenceline 22 years ago courtesy of the neighbour and it was only when they got rid of the problem on their side we got rid of ours. I still find the odd plants and I annihilate it when I see it.

shanreagh, Mar 9, 9:00pm
I'm quaking on its behalf. don't think I can promise to be good on its behalf though.

mony8, Dec 16, 11:24am
I know you"ve had this question many times on this panel, and I've contributed at times, BUT how to eliminate the dreaded ivy, for ever! if possible.
It must a perfect year for it to spread because it's everywhere on my section, but confined to one corner ?
Please, and Thank you,
mony8

mony8

martin11, Dec 16, 12:13pm
Concrete Slab ?

gilligee, Dec 16, 12:32pm
Cut back hard to the stump and paint the ends with Woody Weedkiller.

hazelthecat, Dec 16, 1:29pm
Spray with double strength Roundup with a dash of dishwash liquid. Works on potato vine too. Keep at it and you will eventually win. I did!

tygertung, Dec 16, 1:45pm
I used a Rover lawnmower with a Suzuki engine. It is coming back a wee bit, but I imagine if I keep pulling out the new growth it will give up eventually. I put mulch over the top.

hound31, Dec 16, 2:03pm
Drives me up the wall, I've got it on two sides. One a club rooms with a section they don't really care about and a rental that grows ivy as if there's a market for it! They both keep creeping over to my side.

shanreagh, Dec 16, 2:12pm
And be prepared to do it a couple of times. Ivy should be banned unless it is confined by concrete like I have seen in islands in the middle of the road. Horrible stuff.

Then after I have done this to help my sister one of my neighbours has planted a mix of two types of ivy plus Cape Ivy on a trellis on his property. Grrrr.

lakeview3, Dec 16, 2:14pm
it’s the blimmen seeds. We have it popping up in our garden because the cheapskate lockdown breaker across the road is using it to cover his broken old fence.

lythande1, Dec 16, 3:24pm
Cut it first then apply Tordon weedkiller. Probably more than once.

redhead96, Dec 16, 8:44pm
We have that issue too from the neighbours.
It's not only the berries getting eaten and distributed by the birds but also the wasps when it is in flower.

sla11, Dec 17, 3:33pm
Bad year for Ivy returning - rid section of it 28 years ago using Woody Weedkiller and Janola (used to tape end of Ivy into glass vial of either poisons. Has revisited annually about the garden, just pull it out - usually is about 7cm tall. Many more little plants about this year - just pulling them out.

trade4us2, Dec 17, 4:14pm
My ivy had a 40mm stem. I drilled three holes in it and squirted Roundup in for a few weeks. It all died.