Gree heat pumps

zachary, Dec 17, 5:10pm
looking to install a heat pump in a modern 3 bedroom 2 storey house- Has anyone used Gree heat pumps and is one heat pump enough in a well insulated house.

gpg58, Dec 17, 6:11pm
Yes (junk) and no, (almost never enough for a whole house, let alone being 2 story) - been my trade for 40 years.
What are you hoping to do? just heat main lounge and take chill off other rooms, or fully heat all.
What about cooling, what do you want to achieve regarding that?
Also is it open plan, and can you close off stairwell(heat rises, so guess where most heat will go if not, and forget about getting any of the cooling up there).

tweake, Dec 17, 7:56pm
you can use a single heat pump to do a whole house if its a ducted heat pump system. that means running air ducts to every room and running air returns as well.

otherwise regular heat pumps are to heat one room only.
the simple problem is to spread the heat, you need air flow. you simply won't heat up the bed rooms by leaving the doors open.
i have used a fan to blow the heat from one room to another. it kinda works, but its really really slow.
now i have 3 heat pumps.

also what do you call "well insulated"? there is very few well insulated houses in nz.

shanreagh, Dec 18, 10:06am
Agree with Tweake. Though even with a ducted heat pump you may need more than one. Friend has a stack of two, and a very small house I have seen has a single used with a ducted pump.

tygertung, Dec 18, 3:19pm
I've had really good results with Fujitsu heat pumps, and both were second hand too.

zachary, Dec 18, 8:48pm
thank you for the answers. You have confirmed my thoughts. House insulation is to NZ standard i.e 2.8 batts in walls 3.6 batts in ceiling .Have heard good things about Fujitsu and will look to ducting system.

tweake, Dec 18, 9:50pm
nz insulation standard is fairly low especially for how cold it can get down south (pretty common to have same insulation here in the winterless north, go figure)

look into the ducting, keep in mind installation is a big factor in how well it works. duct leakage and lack of insulation is a big issue with ducts. but its still a good way to heat the whole house.

tygertung, Dec 19, 8:28am
I would strongly advise putting at least one or maybe two more layers of 3.6 in the ceiling. R 3.6 Earthwool was really cheap at Bunnings a few years ago, and it is pretty quick and easy to put in yourself (although slightly unpleasant), but you can do it in a few hours, hopefully your roof pitch isn't too low.

You will want to do it really early in the morning at this time of year.

joanie04, Dec 19, 12:07pm
I have a Fujitsu and am very pleased with it. Only mainly use the heat function. Very rarely use the cooling, I actually don't like the feel of it. I just open all the doors and windows depending on the wind. My brother has a Daikin. He did a heap of research before purchasing and kept the install costs down because his best mate installs them.

zachary, Dec 19, 8:31pm
yes . another layer of batts

awoftam, Dec 20, 10:46pm
Gree are a huge manufacturer of heat pumps and the ones I have seen in action are bluddy good. So if anything do some research and don't be swayed my MB peeps who may have an ulterior motive. I hive a Fujitsu which is awesome however when I replace I would def look a a Gree based on what I have seen.

https://hvactraining101.com/ac/brands/gree/

tygertung, Dec 21, 6:16am
Fujitsu seem to give good performance and longevity.

elect70, Aug 31, 8:08pm
Iput several in until I retired 5years ago , no problems . In fact you will find the components in most makes are from the same scource in China Not the flashesd on the market