Heat pumps and fins

lazkaz, Jun 15, 6:38pm
Mum has a new heatpump, well six months old. She could be pushing buttons, she is 85. However often the fins open right up and makes it drafty. When she turns it off and then on again it looks more normal like mine. It is wall mounted, a good quality one, cannot remember type or model to be honest. I think also she could have it too low, 16 degrees. She has had several servicemen out and 'apparently' only one knew the problem. Its not easy trying to sort things for her. Hard being old I know but trying to help is hard.

gpg58, Jun 15, 6:54pm
Behind the main louvers, are a second set which aim side to side airflow, most of these are manual adjust only, but some are via remote.
Main louvers(up/down airflow) often on heating mode will aim downwards on startup, and then move up to position that has been set, as room warms up.
Use louver buttons to change position, fixed button for changing fixed position, or to change the range of swing action in auto(swing) louver mode. Auto button to turn swing on/off.

lazkaz, Jun 15, 7:52pm
Ok thanks for that. Sounds complicated but will look at that.

gpg58, Jun 15, 8:00pm
When you have it, post the brand and model, and it is likely someone will advise you step by step.
Perhaps if dealer has a showroom, drop in for some instruction on settings.
Unfortunately it is very common for installers to just get it going, and then run away, telling owner very little about operation or maintenance.

timbo69, Jun 15, 8:15pm
16 Degrees. buuurrrrrr

wine-o-clock, Jun 15, 9:35pm
my louvres when in heat mode are facing to the floor (like the manual says)

crab2, Jun 16, 3:47pm
the fins opening right up is possibly the boost setting to heat the room up quickly and 16 is far too low for an older person, best temp is 20 and hopefully will keep her warm and comfortable but really depends on how well insulated her home is. There is a setting called Vane on the remote that sets the Fins to stop them moving up and down and also as a previous posts mentions you can adjust which way the air goes on the unit itself.

amasser, Jun 16, 4:07pm
Read the Manual. Also, try moving her chair to one side.

gabbysnana, Jun 16, 6:19pm
16 is far too cold for elderly needs to be at about 24 for elderly people. It blows cold when the air is cold. It will have vane and fin control. Vane down to ground, fin to where you want the air to go to. Put the fan on slow to medium.

lazkaz, Jun 16, 9:30pm
Yes yes yes, re 16 is far too cold. Mum is independent to her detriment. Its embarrassing actually as I am sure she tells everyone we do nothing for her. We would do anything for her. My sister and I talked about it all for nearly two hours today. I go and do a secret clean in the bathroom as she would be mortified if she knew I did it. Brand new house and already deteriorating. We close our eyes at times. Frustrating, when I am old and funny anyone is welcome to clean my house and do the garden. I have a wonderful son who does my lawns, chops my wood. Getting back to the Heat pump thanks for that.

wine-o-clock, Jun 17, 9:14pm
fan should be on auto

crab2, Jun 18, 12:35pm
Not all elderly feel the cold, I used to be a Support Worker and many would rather not put their heat pump's on and rather have a hottie and blanket and an extra cardi on than run up the power bill

crab2, Jun 18, 12:36pm
the fan setting needs to be on Auto fan, keep pressing the fan button until it switches over, can you put the remote away somewhere or up high where she can't reach to stop her playing around with the settings and just let the heat pump run, one of my former clients daughter did this

gpg58, Jun 18, 2:30pm
Still no mention of brand, as if it is a toshiba, it will have a preset button, which you teach all your settings (fan speed, operation mode, Louvre position, timer settings etc), this is done by setting everything you want, then either holding down the preset button until display stops blinking or some models you hold memo button instead. No idea if other brands also have this option.
Once set you can turn unit on or reset everything back, with just pressing preset button.

lillol, Oct 29, 1:40am
16 is way, way, way too low. I have mine at around 20-21 but my adult kids always try and put it up. They do take a bit of getting used to and there is often what feels like a cool draft coming from them. But overall I wouldn't be without mine now.