Can heat pumps be soundproofed (outside)?

dollydot, Mar 25, 6:21am
Are there ways of soundproofing heat pumps (sound coming from the unit outside!) We have one which is very quiet even when you stand outside by it. We only use it occasionally in winter and used it on Christmas day when it was 34 degrees. Parents also have a huge one, also very quiet.

New neighbour has two heat pump units (stacked on top of each other) which is heard from inside our house upstairs and down. They use it every day from late afternoon into the night and all day every weekend, never have windows open ever which would not be a problem if it was quiet. Can the rumbling and air flow noise be quietened if it was serviced etc! We are not particularly close in distance to the other house but it is heard easily. Just bad luck to get new neighbours who use it constantly so far through spring and summer with no days with it off.We are near Wellington so plenty of fresh cooling air here. Guess this might be an issue for many as most newer homes like ours and theirs have them.

Is there any way of sound proofing!

gabbysnana, Mar 25, 7:10am
ring noise control and yes they can be sounpoofed

trade4us2, Mar 25, 7:18am
My neighbour has two heat pumps that rumble and rattle away. They will cost him a fortune to run. I just open my windows and doors and have insect screens and a fan.

t_naki, Mar 25, 7:57am
Yes they can be quietened. I would get noise control round to check the sound levels at the boundary and if they are too high they will issue them with notice to rectify. The ultimate responsibility will go back onto the installing company as it is their responsibility to ensure the installation complies with the local regulations.

twink19, Mar 25, 9:05am
I have 2 heat pumps, no one has complained about the noise, cost $10 a week to run in winter

kiwibubbles, Mar 25, 9:30am
there was something on fair go about noisy units last year - can't remember what they said but perhaps look at tvnz on demand!

dollydot, Mar 25, 8:43pm
Thanks for your replies. I doubt if noise control will find it breaches any regulations as it is loud enough to be annoying but not in the league of a stereo or a barking dog etc.

When we see our neighbours we will ask them if they will consider having it serviced and soundproofed and hope they act on this.

Will look for the article on Fair Go also. Do hope something can be done, don't need this noise outside our bedrooms and living area. It is well positioned away from their living and bedrooms, funny that!

kellrae, Mar 25, 9:48pm
Check with your neighbour if their systems have a 'quiet mode/button'.Some models do, and this reduces the noise from the outdoor unit.But it will reduce the system capacity a little also.

rsr72, Apr 29, 12:41pm
#1- Heatpump installation noise requirements and methods- Dunedin city council document.

http://dcc.squiz.net.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/54119/0012HeatpumpNoiseReduction.pdf