Building a house

Page 2 / 2
daz59, Jul 16, 8:54pm
So single storey of the same size will be noticeably cheaper?

tegretol, Jul 16, 10:51pm
What % of the build is materials and what % is labour?

stevo2, Jul 17, 5:35am
Are you talking carpenters labour or everybody on site like plumbers etc as well? A large high spec home would take 4 guys about a year to build so multiply 8000hours by $60 and you get a figure close to $500K out of a $2m build so roughly 25% labour.
Cheers Stevo

bobwyn, Jul 27, 9:19pm
Mine is 554sqm ground floor has 2x 10 x 7 meter garages and a games room laundry/ bathroom. 2nd floor is concrete 4 bedroom 3 bathrooms large kitchen dining family separate lounge plus pool room with 9 x 5 meter indoor pool , Block and rendered bottom story brick 2nd story schist pillars at entrances pressed iron tile roof built about 9 years in Christchurch it took nearly a year to build. The builder redrew the plans from my original house plan I was in and added bottom floor and change it to suit what we wanted, he project managed and built it labour only and each month give me a bill for labour and materials it worked out at about 1600 sq meter when we built it was during 2nd round of earthquakes the hardest part was getting insurance when it was finish .

elect70, Jul 28, 6:22pm
Franchises are ok BUt the moment you deviate from their plan in any way or want differnt mateuial /fittings they sock in $$$ for extras like a wounded bull . Thats where the profit is they know most will want some chances . Our house went $1000over becuase she wanted different
tapware.

peacebird15, Aug 2, 10:25pm
I have a client that spent 57k just to have the architect right at the end tell them their company missed a council detail that meant they couldnt build on the property.

But dont worry, the architect still billed them fully.

richynuts, Oct 8, 11:12am
Personally I would never have a man cave or garage for 6 cars under a house. Better to have separate garage and workshop. I would be always worried about a fire from welding, etc.