Building a house

Page 1 / 2
daz59, Jul 13, 10:46am
In the not to distant future I will be building a house to my specs, probably end up at least 500sm two story, a huge mancave/shed under the house that will hold at least 6 cars, cinema room etc, I want something really nice so im guessing id be looking at 3-4k per meter. Am I best to deal with an architect to design the house and then find a builder or is a better option to deal with one company lik GJ or Jennian to do the whole thing?

geoff_m, Jul 13, 10:53am
Something like that whcih is a bit different, and customised, get a good architect first. If you have a good builder, then design in conjunction with a builder as a team effort for buildability and cost.
Nice man canve, but needs to be bigger.

daz59, Jul 13, 11:11am
Lol, im planning on building a 200sm shed/workshop on the section also.

I wouldnt know where to start in finding an architect, i guess reviews online would be a start. I m located in Hamilton.

martin11, Jul 13, 2:46pm
Must be a big section ?

daz59, Jul 13, 3:19pm
Few acres

ang_ck, Jul 13, 3:27pm
I am also thinking of building a house and wanted to go to a franchisee like GJ, My colleague said that, if I go with any building franchisee, unless they "owned'" the subbies, the franchisee will put a markup on all the subbies pricing and it will inflate overall the pricing. I was reminded that the franchisee also have to pay the franchisee owner as well.

On the other hand, companies like CJ takes the pain away from me. I am torn between using an architect or a building franchisee.

tweake, Jul 13, 3:34pm
building co's will only do minimum spec, thats pretty much all they know.
if you want something decent use an architect.
however architect will often push their idea of a house not yours, and sometimes that ends up making the house minimum spec.

jkp58, Jul 13, 5:19pm
Drive round find houses you like the look of .Knock on door and ask who designed them and who built them most of us are only to happy to tell you. Talk to the designer make decision based on how you feel about them same with deciding on builders . Ask to see and talk to a couple of clients . Get 3 qoutes. The architect may have builders he likes to work with. Good builders also come up with good ideas . Hint Make your decisons on colours and types of products early so you dont hold up the process lots of decisions to be made during the buliding processeg where plugs go what taps you want etc etc the list is long . Most of all enjoy the proccess.
Have built 4 houses over 36 years using same buider have used both draughtmen and architect. Architect really looked outside the box really pleased with the result. Good luck

lakeview3, Jul 13, 5:21pm
i hope you have someone who likes cleaning

tegretol, Jul 13, 11:46pm
Draw your own room layout and get a LB approved technical draftsman to draw the plans. Most builders will tell you that architect plans are pretty well unbuildable and almost always require amendment (at your expense) whereas draftsmen have worked nearer the coalface and know what can/can't be built.

tim41, Jul 14, 6:14am
you have obviously not dealt with a decent architect

tweake, Jul 14, 9:51am
as mentioned above "Most builders will tell you that architect plans are pretty well unbuildable"
there has been quite a few "award winning designs" that i swear they have faked the modeling to allow them to pass code, as they are almost all windows and no insulation.

even if they do make good designs, many builders have no experience in building them, so they get changed (shortcut) to something they know how to build.
if you want something decent, the choice of architects and builders becomes very slim.

amasser, Jul 14, 10:05am
Big house. Can you afford a cleaner, or two?

articferrit, Jul 14, 10:38am
I would start with the technical draftsman and tell him exactly what you want and see what he comes up with. We have a 6 car garage, workshop, rumpus room, study, shower and laundry downstairs. Its a bit basic, upstairs is 4 bedrooms and very open plan, and about the same size youre planning, no cleaner needed here, well - maybe in the workshop. Cant help with the price.

phoenix22, Jul 14, 10:45am
if you don't mind me asking. What was the cost to build your home?

onl_148, Jul 14, 12:10pm
+Before you get too "hot and excited" about what you are going to have built on your "few acres" it may pay, if you have not already done, to talk to the local council about what they will "let you" build on your few acres !

articferrit, Jul 14, 12:47pm
My house is pure 1970's, but was a bit radical for the times, it didnt cost much more than an average house then, hate to think what it would cost to build now.

daz59, Jul 14, 12:56pm
Yes thanks, 500sm of ground coverage on sections under 2.5h

davepro, Jul 15, 9:59pm
4K a square metre is pretty much a basic cost - replacing my earthquake damaged house came in over that. In Chch, anyway. I'd be surprised if you're talking less than 6K or so. One hint: if you do get an architect, tell them very clearly 'NO water features'. If they want one, ask them to cost annual maintenance.

David

martin11, Jul 16, 8:12am
No Waters Features such as leaking Home problems .

tweake, Jul 16, 11:37am
some architects seam to try their hardest to make it a leaky home.
relying heavily on builders getting every detail perfect.

daz59, Jul 16, 7:16pm

stevo2, Jul 16, 7:47pm
Daz, we build these types of homes. If you do not have a favoured builder, you should first contact an architect that works on upmarket homes and have concept plans drawn. Do a drive by some of their homes to ensure you like their style. Ask him/her who they could recommend to build such a home. They should be able to give you a list of 3 suitable builders. Contact them all and choose the one you are most keen to work with. Then go back to the architect with the builder to fine tune your designs. They will then have your plans drawn up into working plans that can have a price estimate given and go into council for consent. I would suggest your budget is spot on at about $3.5k to $4k /sq/m.
I would advise you to stay away from the group housing builders as many of them wont have the knowledge or ability to build a home of the caliber you are after.
Cheers Stevo

daz59, Jul 16, 7:59pm
Thanks Stevo,

Given that a reasonable portion of the house will be open for a big man cave and cars, will that portion be cheaper than the rest of the house to build, so in effect bring down the average meter price?

stevo2, Jul 16, 8:32pm
Yes but it will be bumped up again by the 2 storey part. Our upmarket homes usually have high grade fittings, kitchens, fully tiled bathrooms, lift etc so that bumps the price from standard quality to high quality. High quality normally ends up around $4k/m2