Kitchen handles or not WWYD?

molly37, Mar 22, 8:07pm
Along with a new laundry is a new kitchen, whist we are just about there with a suitable layout one of the final decisions is if we have handles or not for under the bench consisting of approx 2 cupboards and 10 drawers. We have a small kitchen and like the minimal modern look. One concern is I do have long nails, maybe I could try some at the cabinet makers? Who has a handle free kitchen and do you find them annoying?

bluecat1529, Mar 22, 8:10pm
We have no handles and a “ push to open” system- gives a really sleek look and works well - so easy to wipe over too

wine-o-clock, Mar 22, 8:12pm
what colour are your kitchen cupboards going to be?

molly37, Mar 22, 9:05pm
Do you have those on the drawers? We have mainly drawers.

molly37, Mar 22, 9:07pm
White on the bottom, coloured on the top cupboards. its not the colour that bothers me. just the 2 of us and I'm pretty fussy with cleaning.

hammer23, Mar 23, 9:53am
handle free doors and drawers are known as crumb catcher handles. Often a shaped length of timber is used and attached to the top of the board, this is a weak point as this can separate in time and come loose. They do look smart and are quite popular.

amasser, Mar 23, 11:21am
If you wear rings, may scratch doors if using handles. Also, recommend handles with closed ends so you can't catch things on them.

wine-o-clock, Mar 23, 1:45pm
or does the op mean the doors that you push to open?

starseeker, Mar 23, 4:31pm
Years ago we had shaped wooden handles on the cupboards. I really liked them & they had the added advantage when children were very young that they never quite cottoned on to the idea that to open them easily you had to pull on the centre of the handle. In effect they were virtually infant proof.
I really hated the cupboards which you had to push against to open.
I didn't find them at all easy to clean as the darn things opened as I was trying to wipe them

articferrit, Mar 23, 6:03pm
I have handle free bathrooms (with drawers) and my daughter has recently said thats what she likes the most about them - the lack of handles, the drawers are slightly shaped on the top edge and soft close, dont seem to need extra cleaning, and I have short fingernails.

bluecat1529, Mar 23, 7:40pm
Yes we have mostly drawers in the kitchen and they are all push to open

molly37, Mar 24, 1:40pm
Oh ok. Ill ask the cabinet maker. the electric servos are very expensive for the cupboards.

gabbysnana, Mar 27, 9:34am
and everytime you brush against them, they pop open.

lespat, Aug 7, 11:57pm
We havn't found that to be the case with our new kitchen. You have to concsiously pull the drawers open but they self close with a push. Another plus is that loose clothing does't have any handles to catch the drawers. Are you describing the spring loaded push to open system? We have one secret (lol) drawer of that type built into the kick board which we nudge with a foot to open. I don't think we'd like all our drawers like that.