How to remove faceplate on topliss TB1 shower

lolzor123, Nov 28, 2:16pm
We have an old topliss shower mixer. It is starting to leak a little. I am wanting to remove the faceplate to assess options in terms of space in the wall/pipe position etc. I have the handle off but can’t seem to remove the faceplate. I assume I need to unscrew the large centre ring - but this seems well stuck. any advice appreciated.

lolzor123, Nov 28, 2:19pm

martin11, Nov 28, 2:30pm
Get a Plumber .

dastedly, Nov 28, 5:32pm
by your pic it one first ones they made /very old . if you think you can fix it but not get face plate off . may be a lot harder than you think . myself I would replace it I was a plumber . Not just a handy man job to say.

lolzor123, Nov 28, 5:54pm
Thanks. Yes - I’m going to get my plumber to replace the unit with something more modern. Was hoping to get faceplate off so had a photo of in the wall to discuss what he thought was the best replacement, rather than him coming to assess then coming again with the parts. Will leave the whole lot to him though! I have heard the early models are trickier to work with.

dastedly, Nov 28, 7:16pm
Ok .with that one have undo that big round nut .but if the spindle turns at same time you get lots of water out .so put handle back on to stop spindle turning as undoing the nut .

lolzor123, Nov 28, 7:29pm
Great - thank you. Got the big round nut off. just needed some gruntier pliers. The label was partly stuck inside the thread which is why I think I was having so much trouble getting it undone. Photos taken and unit back together now. Thanks again for your help.

budgel, Sep 6, 5:08pm
The Topliss is an amazingly good low pressure mixer. I've had one for years, it had a repair kit installed about 10 years ago and is still going strong!
That one looks to be even older than mine.