Double Glazing - Existing Home

cassum, Jul 10, 9:02am
Looking at double glazing my existing 1970's brick home in Hamilton. Ceiling and roof insulation but none in walls.

Anyone out there gone through this process? Did it make a significant different to heating, condensation etc?

Also anyone in Hamilton recommend supplier/installer?

TIA!

trade4us2, Jul 10, 9:20am
My wooden house has had wall and ceiling insulation for nearly 30 years. A few years ago I insulated most windows temporarily with several very cheap methods. That made a surprising difference to the warmth and noise reduction (from the neighbours yappy dog and his noisy heatpumps and noisy generators and noisy cars). So I strongly recommend double glazing.

hazelnut2, Jul 10, 9:27am
Go for it!

Do you have wood or metal frames? If wood, KEEP! Wooden frames are wonderful barriers to cold/heat. It's possible to have a joiner rout out a new 'seat' for the double glazed panes.

Double glazing makes an enormous difference to sound, temperature (hot and cold) and condensation. But you do also have to check your window frames for air ingress around the edges next to the walls and air ingress around the opening windows/sashes because the draughts will have a negative effect.

gilligee, Jul 10, 10:03am
All of the above.
We had the whole frames removed and replaced with double glazing. All white so fitted in well with an old white wooden house.
Not to be confused with the different system of just replacing the glass frames, which I know nothing about.
Out of our area so no use recommending our brilliant installers.

tweake, Jul 10, 10:26am
just keep in mind that the cheap double glazing that most homes have is actually worse than 70's wooden windows with single glazing.

if the wood is in good condition then look at a glass retrofit.
if you have aluminium windows rip them out and replace with upvc or thermal broken aluminium.

trade4us2, Jul 10, 10:40am
My free "double glazing" is actually triple glazing roofing that somebody changed their mind and threw out. So I have quadruple glazing including the original window glass. I don't need to look out of all my hundreds of colonial window panes.

lilyfield, Jul 10, 10:41am
Best thing I ever did, no condensation at all, minimal heating, peace of mind.

Burgler gave up cutting himself, knocked through first pane, not the second one, so did not go inside. Left a nice trail of blood on deck

socram, Jul 10, 12:32pm
The point above (#5) about aluminium frames is valid, as the aluminium transfers heat in or out.

The panels to the sides of our front door are thick glass blocks but in aluminium frames. On a sunny morning, the frames are quite warm to the touch, even though the glass is cool.

tweake, Jul 10, 1:09pm
i thought i better add a link to some of it. sorry can't find the good one.
https://www.building.govt.nz/building-code-compliance/h-energy-efficiency/h1-energy-efficiency/building-code-requirements-for-house-insulation/r-values-for-common-construction-types/#jumpto-windows-and-skylights

what you need to remember is nz window ratings are for the glass only.
however the frame type can change the overall insulation value quite a bit.

also its very well worth considering air leakage. sliding windows tend to be more drafty than other types. the same with sliding doors. not uncommon to have big gaps in between the door and the frame.

so if you ever remove windows and doors its well worth changing to non sliding types where its easy to get good sealing.
no point spending big $$ on insulating windows only to have the hot air just go around it.

joanie32, Jul 10, 4:44pm
We double glazed out 1960s red brick house, and went from wooden to aluminium

The result was amazing. Much quieter and no condensation.

There were two ranch sliders that were already (single gazed) aluminium and in good knick, so to keep cost down we didn’t replace these

These two doors are the only ones that get condensation, and a lot of it.

So we are getting these replaced later this year.

hazelnut2, Jul 11, 7:23am
Until then try this cheaper option: 3M Window Insulation Film in the red box from M10. The only problem with this product is that the tape isn't UV stable. otherwise it's amazing stuff.