Double Glazing Firm in Dunedin

hound31, Jun 21, 2:24pm
Going to get some quotes as we have a weeping bedroom window. Does anyone have any recommendations for firms they've used please? Want to keep the wooden window, not interested in aluminium frames.

farwest, Jun 21, 2:26pm

ruby2014, Jun 21, 2:43pm
My family in Mosgiel have just had windows done by these guys and were very happy with them.

https://www.rylock.co.nz/

hound31, Jun 21, 3:22pm
Thanks for that, but they seem to all be aluminium, I prefer wood.

hound31, Jun 21, 3:23pm
Thanks, I have Googled, really looking for firms people have dealt with. appreciate the help though.

ruby2014, Jun 21, 4:13pm
Ring Rylock and talk to them about it. If you just want the existing glass replaced in your wooden windows then they may be able to do this for you. If not they will point you in the right direction of who can help you in Dunners.

hazelnut2, Jun 21, 4:20pm
Here's my tip:

Get thee to MItre 10, buy the 3M window insulation kit to fit your windows. which does the same job, but saves MEGA BUCKS!

If you decide to try this system out, and there is only the 'Ace' version available. don't bother with it as the tape is far inferior. spend the extra to go up a window size with the 3M product! Available in 1, 2 3 4 or 5 window sizes. 1570mm X a certain amount of metres depending on the size of the kit.

Extra rolls of tape are available if many smaller windows need covering. should be in the 'tape' section of the paint department.

The box advises removal of the plastic after the winter season, however, after the large effort I made to install it, so far after one year no difference is seen. Will change when degradation is observed.

Have alu window frames at home. have only spent about 1% to do the whole house myself compared to the price to double glaze. The metal windows still conduct heat or cold even with retro-double glazing.

hound31, Jun 21, 5:17pm
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I'd rather spend a bit more and get a permanent solution.

amasser, Jun 23, 3:49pm
Europe has moved to triple-glazing and quadruple-glazing.

homegrown4, Jun 27, 7:21pm
Recommend Metroglass- they have fitted 97% of my villa. The thing I was impressed with was their ability to deal with the multiple odd shaped windows and replacement of wooden frames where necessary with a minimum of fuss and reasonable rates. Worth it

hound31, Jun 30, 10:46pm
Thanks for that, will make them my third quote.

jojo76, Jul 12, 11:07am
Just out of a matter of interest hound31 i live in canterbury but currently looking at double glazing in my wooden window frames. What did your quotes end up like price wise? Cheers

beebs, Jul 12, 3:30pm
along with jojo76, what sort of prices do the quotes come back at? Its a how long is a bit of string question, but we really have no idea

hound31, Jul 12, 8:35pm
Hi, I have two so far, but method of work is quite different, so a bit hard to compare.
Window is approx. 210mm wide x 117 high including two 'fanlights", one set above another. Not original to the cottage, probably 1980's addition.

No 1. Well know glass firm. Approx $1700 with the highest price of "E glass" which I would go for. Only issue with this is they said they could only get a 4mm gap between sheets when retro fitting this window and max is about 18mm which is better. this doesn't include any rot repair if needed.

No 2. Another firm which seems to deal with wood and glass and has a "patented system". Approx $2040 They would take the sashes out and replace with new ones with glass already fitted, they said it would be easier than fitting glass in existing sashes. This also doesn't cover any rot repair.I have a few questions for him though as I don't feel things were explained properly (bit hurried) and the quote was not as detailed as the other. I do like the sound of the bigger gap, but am a bit wary of "patented systems" and stuff like that after being sucked into buying a DVS years ago that was useless for the house, Not the same thing I know, but has made me a bit wary.
Also had an odd thing about payment on the quote which I am going to ask about in another post on here.
I am going to ring Metro tomorrow and get a quote from them as well.
All firms have great reviews, but that doesn't mean a lot.

jojo76, Jul 12, 10:44pm
wow quite costly just for one window!

hound31, Jul 12, 10:50pm
Yep, a bit eye watering lol. that's why I want to make sure I pick the right firm to do the job. The price didn't really surprise me as I have read what whole houses have cost. I think this will be the only window done.

supernova2, Jul 13, 11:27pm
In my opinion doing one window will be an absolute waste of time and money.

hound31, Jul 14, 11:37am
Well I'm willing to have a chat if you'd like to loan me enough to do the whole house.

jojo76, Jul 16, 10:29am
Im sorry to jump on you thead again hounddog, but has anyone here actually got double glazing installed in wooden windows?
I am stuggling to get anyone just to come and do a quote.
I emailed a company photos and measurements and he has just emailed back and said it cant be done as i have split rails. - full replacement with aluminum or upvc required.
Surely this cant be right?
Can anyone shed some light onto this and what other option i have as i really dont want to get rid of my wooden frames. cheers

hound31, Oct 20, 11:19am
Feel free to jump in, the more info for everyone the better:) That sounds weird, as both my quotes were for wooden, I don't want aluminium either. are there any more companies where you live? I'd try a few.
ETA just read that you're struggling to get anyone to quote, good grief! Are they all doing so well they don't need the work? Having said that, I'm still waiting on Metro to call, rang them on Friday morning. others were quicker off the mark.